Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1986 GSXR 750 that I am restoring. I want to get better rims or have the ones on it chromed. Has anyone done this and where can you find parts for these older but better bikes? I found some on ebay. Thanks for the help. Anyone with parts give me a scream...

·
3,482 Posts
Hey, welcome to the site!! If you haven't already, check out the search function just under the button for posting a topic. Type in wheel swap;that should answer most questions. Chrome your '86 rims if you want to be the heavyweight champ.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
find some '89 1100 wheels or '88-'89 750 wheels, they are 3 spoke and look awesome. also get the newer rotors. hell for that fact, get the '89 front end. they are pretty cheap and they are great upgrades.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have good 86 rims. I dont need any parts right now. I am in the Marines and deployed right now. I will be back working on the bike and will let you know then. I do need an after market stalilizer and want to hear more opinions on croming my 86 rims? thanks

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I put wheels from a 92 600 on mine...along with a 94 front end. There's a conversion chart posted over here with data you'll need.

As for a stabilizer...I believe you mean "Steering Damper"... Here is the only one I've found that is complete for your model. Part 14-17301 - Daytona Damper Kit GSXR 750 '85-'87 Kit comes complete with Daytona damper, brackets and mounting hardware.
Price: $159.95

Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This site rocks. Thanks for the great info. Why does everyone rec. putting 89 wheels on the 86? can you chrome the 89 wheels? Does the extra width on the 89 wheels cause any problems? Keep the info coming.

·
3,482 Posts
Your original rims are heavy, and they look like snot. Chrome will add weight to them. If you want bling bling, chrome them. If you want a better bike, toss'em. If better handling causes concern, then wider tires suck.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I put newer 3 spokes on mine it handles better and have lot better tire selection if ya want them to look better lookinto getting them polished

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by gregthebus:
This site rocks. Thanks for the great info. Why does everyone rec. putting 89 wheels on the 86? can you chrome the 89 wheels? Does the extra width on the 89 wheels cause any problems? Keep the info coming.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The `89 (and `88 750) used 4.5" rear wheel... the fronts were what has now become the standard 3.5" x 17"... the 4.5" wheel is lighter than the `91 and up "twisted spoke" 5.5" wheels and it will fit easier and also steer quicker (with a 160 tire on it) than the 5.5" wheel with a 180 on it. It's a *pain* to get decent tires for the old 18" wheels - most shops don't keep them in stock, and all the best brands/models of tires are made in 17" sizes. If you polish your wheels you will need to keep them clean and polished all the time or the aluminum will return to it's natural (oxidized) state in a short time. I wish chrome wasn't so heavy... but it is, and it usually starts to flake off and peel after a year or two (and several tire changes) too. Powdercoat is really the best way to go IMO.

·
Registered
740 Posts
ive heard you can get clear powder coat
if ya can wonder if would look good over a polished rim to keep from the cleaning probs of polish

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Originally posted by pan'86:
ive heard you can get clear powder coat
if ya can wonder if would look good over a polished rim to keep from the cleaning probs of polish
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've heard the same thing on clear powder coating I still think that the three spoke rims are the way to go. For the record, the newer brakes rule.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Originally posted by FastCat:
It's a *pain* to get decent tires for the old 18" wheels - most shops don't keep them in stock, and all the best brands/models of tires are made in 17" sizes.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is a popular misconception FastCat...there are tons of tires available for 18-inch rims. In fact Michelin just introduced a new tire called the Pilot Road that's available in 18s. Pretty easy to find a 110/80/18 front and 160/60/18 rear from Michelin, Dunlop, Pirelli, Metzeler etc.

Or you can stick with bias-ply tires and run Avon race-compound AM22/23, or sticky Dunlop GT501 (my fav bias tire), Bridgestone BT-45, Metzeler Comp-K, etc etc. Modern bias-ply tires are very good, technology marches on.

I rode a 150ish-hp '86 GSXR1100 the other day with stock 18-inch rims, it had a Bridgestone 020 front in 110/80/18, and Bridgestone 010 rear in 160/60/18. Nasty wet roads with some gravel and other debris, I'm on a hotted-up 1100, no worries. Tires stuck like glue. (Damn that bike was fast: 2mm overbore, 38mm flatslides, Yosh Stage III cams, ported head, valve job, full Yosh...better than an amusement park ride).

There aren't many 18-inch "race-compound" tires available, I'll give ya that, but race-compound tires are overkill for a streetbike anyway. Heck I've done trackdays on Michelin Macadams.

If you're going racing, I would definitely switch to 17-inch rims....but for street use the stock 18s are plenty fine.

As always, the bike and its tires are not the limiting factor, it's the rider!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Originally posted by coinspinner12:
Originally posted by FastCat:
[qb]
It's a *pain* to get decent tires for the old 18" wheels
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">well the 1100 had a 4" rim where the 750 was a 3.5". try fitting a 160 to that.

I had no problems with my stock wheels, but hte 93 wheels I have look alot better, and there is ALOT better tire selection.
I looked in a recent magazine add form a big retailer, and they has 6 rears(of any size that will fit) and 4 fronts for the 1100 wheels(and only one tire for the 3.5" rim)
in the same ad there were 13 fronts(120/70/17) and 14 rear(18/55/17)(only looked at specific sizes, would be more than doubled if I inccluded 170s and 190s in the list)
I don't consider less than half a good selection.

plus chrome is heavy, and I have heard it weakens the wheels(especially the skinny spoked GSXR wheels)

[ 01-04-2003, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: karl_1052 ]

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
I only kept my 88 rims because they look like later model 3 spokes and are much better than the flacid first models that you can actually twist a spoke with your bare hands

and the 88 1100 rims are 2.75 front (vs 2.5) and 4.5 back (vs 4.0) so you can actually fit a 160 radial on them

here they are before

and now after

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
ive got a set of 86 1100 wheels for $50 or a set of 92 1100 wheels that are freshly powdercoated white (not even mounted yet) for 250.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mr Gixxer, what is the weight difference when you got your wheel back from the chrome shop? They look good. What did you put them on and did you need anything special? I just want my bike to look good. I normally have my 10 year old son on the back so I don't knee drag or go 100mph. thanks.... USMC gregthebus lives

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by Mr Gixxer:
I only kept my 88 rims because they look like later model 3 spokes and are much better than the flacid first models that you can actually twist a spoke with your bare hands

----><8---SNIP!---><8----
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">heh-hehehe-heh - heh

...he said: "flacid".

1 - 20 of 27 Posts