Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, folks, does anybody know if an 88 slingshot motor will fit in my 86 750 frame? I need to do some motor work to the 86 mill, and it would be nice to have a spare motor. Could I use the same exhaust for both motors? I have a Yosh Zyclone on the 86, and it would be nice not to have to buy another pipe! Plus, what about electronics?

Thanks for your time,

P

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not exactly a true bolt-in. The 86 uses a double pickup ignition, while the 88 uses a single pickup. The 86 pickup and rotor must be installed, which is the easy part. The hard part is the clutch. 86 750's used hydraulic clutches just like the 1100's, with the pushrod going through the input shaft. The 88 uses a cable/rack system mounted on the clutch cover, therefore the 88 does not have the hole in the seal or the roller bearing on the end of the input shaft. Changing the seal is easy, changing the bearing means splitting the cases. Other than those problems, all the mounting locations are identical.

Also, be careful about the alternator. There are three different sizes of gears on the alternator, and three different corresponding ring gears on the clutch basket. If they are different on these 2 motors, and you intend on using the 86 alternator, you will need to use the 86 ring gear on the back of the 88 clutch basket. But then, you better check the oil pump, because the aforementioned ring gear also drives the pump drive gear. If these are different, and I know for a fact there are at least two different combinations, then you will also have to use the 86 oil pump gear in conjunction with the 86 ring gear.

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: flyinphill ]

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: flyinphill ]</p>

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
in addition, don't use the 86 ecu on the 88.....the 86 has a rev limiter at 11.5k.....the 88 redlines at 13k.

you may have trouble getting the 86 oil cooler to work with the 88 motor......the fitting at the oil pan is slightly different, but if the banjo bolt's thread diameter and pitch is the same as the 88's, it should be okay.

·
Premium Member
4,491 Posts
yeah, people make engine swaps seem easy, but there are many things to consider, like responders have posted.

the oil-cooler lines are indeed different, so the best thing to do is to use the 86 oil-pan, pick up, and lines. also, the carb boots are bigger, so unless you use the stock slingshot carbs, it won't work, or swap out the boots. swapping out boots can be tricky, since the phillips head will most likely need an impact wrench to remove, then the impact can crack/break the head. don't ask how i know this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts