Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just a quick intro as I am new here.. Been checking things out for last couple weeks reading the posts and just registered today as yesterday I bought my first bike... an '86 750
I took the course and got my license 3 years ago, just never been able to buy my own bike until this opportunity came up.. $1100CDN for this bike.. and yeah everything is there, it runs and it is straight (checked the steering stops etc.)
Anyways, being the new fish around here I am curious if anyone knows of any really _GOOD_ oilcooled 750 websites.. I want to see & read about stuff others have done to their 86 750.
What I have in mind doing to mine is putting 17" wheels on it, inverted forks on the front (92-750??), repainting it and getting another can for it.
If anything it needs to be painted. The guy that had it before, painted it all red, right over the DECALS!! hah.. looks like it was done with a brush you'd use for painting a barn.. Also the cowling broke and the front fork seals broke in transit bringin it down in the back of a jacked up toyota 4x4.. I strapped it down too tight.. Other than that I cant wait to start tinkering!!

------------------

·
Registered
288 Posts
Click on my picture and you can see what I did to mine so far. I'll also leave some links below that are quite handy.

Micks GSX-R 1100 site- it's a good site even though it's not about 750's: http://user.tninet.se/~lvn930t/gsxrenglish.htm

7-11 Boulevard- Netherlands site about converting GSX-R 750 and putting in 1100 engines plus tons of other mods. http://www.robbynitroz.nl/patrick/frameset.htm

Section on getting more power out of your 750 from the 7-11 site: http://www.robbynitroz.nl/patrick/articles/supertune/st750.htm

Sargent cycle custom seat work http://www.sargentcycle.com/

History of the GSX-R http://www.adelaide.net.au/~millett/GSXR/xr41_gsxr.htm

------------------

Youth and talent are no match for age and treachery!

[This message has been edited by Talisian (edited 04-13-2001).]

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
hey i am think of get my first gixxer and it is going to be a 1986 750 oh boy i can not wait to bring it home, and start makeing changes to it ! fun fun fun !!! well i was wondering what is the best way to transport it to my place cause the bike is about 3hours away and if i dont strap it down right there could be alot of damage done and i dont want that to happen!
are there any ideas to what i should start with or what should be look at first ?
thanks! Later

------------------
There is only one rider and that is a rider of a gixxer. All your trobles can be left behind you when you ride them out!

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you can't ride it home you could stand it in the back of a pick-up truck and strap it down well. My friend used to transport his race bike like that. He'd lean it on it's side stand, turn the front wheel all the way to one side and then make sure the bike was all the way forward and pushing against the cab of the truck- then he'd put a block behind the rear tire. Then he'd place straps all over the place. At least 3 straps on each side, the forward ones pulling the bike forward, the rear straps pulling it back...and the middle straps pulled very tight for lateral stability. I would definitly not lay the bike on it's side.

------------------

Youth and talent are no match for age and treachery!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Talisian:
....He'd lean it on it's side stand, turn the front wheel all the way to one side and then make sure the bike was all the way forward and pushing against the cab of the truck- then he'd put a block behind the rear tire. Then he'd place straps all over the place. At least 3 straps on each side...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yikes!!!! On the sidestand with 'straps everywhere'!?! That sounds scary.

The best way I know, after helping my dad for 20+years transport 800+lb Harleys is to get the bike centred in the back of the pickup, front wheel facing straight forward against the front of the bed and bike standing straight up, 2 ratchet straps, 1 on each handlebar, or each side of the frame, connected to the loops on the front corners of the trucks then tightened down real good.. you want the front suspension compressed no more than 60%.. that leaves you enough suspension so not to break the fork seals going over bumps but tight enough so the front wont dive and have the bike tip over going over the same bump. You wont even need the sidestand as it wouldnt touch if you put it down. Also you'll want rope going across the back of the truck between the two loops and through the rear tire, this will stop the rear-end from hopping up.. it doesnt need to be totally tight, just enough to stop it from hopping up.

I brought my bike down last week and that was almost a 6hr drive 1 way and it was in there solid.. I would highly recommend getting ratchet straps, the ones that can handle 700+ lbs each are perfect and arent that expensive.. only $20cdn each up here at Canadian Tire and they work great.

------------------

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
thanks man that helps me out alot !

------------------
There is only one rider and that is a rider of a gixxer. All your trobles can be left behind you when you ride them out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts