Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am selling my water cooler to a close friend and am getting ready to build an old oil cooled custom. I know a guy with a mint 86 750 all stock, stock bodywork ,paint,exhaust,blinkers, etc. Really nice and I can pick it up for $2K. I have in my possesion(sic) a pair of 95 1100 wheels and front forks. I was thinking of using a different tail section(maybe TLR or TLS or SRAD) I am going to use it for street riding around town with my wife so all out power isn't really important, but I really do like the idea of a six speed. What years were they available? What exhaust systems are still available for this dinosaur? And should I use a Stage 3 Jet kit with it? Progressive sells a New rear shock for $365. Does anyone know if it is any good?

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Originally posted by Wild Bill:
Hey guys I am selling my water cooler to a close friend and am getting ready to build an old oil cooled custom. I know a guy with a mint 86 750 all stock, stock bodywork ,paint,exhaust,blinkers, etc. Really nice and I can pick it up for $2K. I have in my possesion(sic) a pair of 95 1100 wheels and front forks. I was thinking of using a different tail section(maybe TLR or TLS or SRAD) I am going to use it for street riding around town with my wife so all out power isn't really important, but I really do like the idea of a six speed. What years were they available? What exhaust systems are still available for this dinosaur? And should I use a Stage 3 Jet kit with it? Progressive sells a New rear shock for $365. Does anyone know if it is any good?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">$2000 for a clean 750 is a deal. The forks should bolt right on but the rear wheel might be too wide and I think it takes a larger axle diameter. A change of the bearings should fixt that but it might be still too wide.

All the 750 gixxers were 6 speed, or maybe you're making a statement and I didn't follow you.

Hindle (my choice) makes a complete exhaust. As do Yoshimura and I think Vance & Hines. Mine was rejetted (stage 1) when I got it with the Hindle, Air Box and 31mm carbs and it had a nice Dyno graph at around 85rwhp. Stage 3 might (should) get you a few more ponies.

Everyone seems to want to change the rear seat/cowls on the old oilers but what ever floats your barge.
I don't now anyone with that modle of shok but I had a pair of Progressive shocks on my old GPZ and they were good for the money. A Fox would be a better value for just a few dollars more.

Wife on the back? That's an interesting concept. I'll have to get a second bike and try that some day

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so somewhere between 85 and 90 RWHP is easily attainable? Has anyone put a TLR tail section on one yet? are there any other areas of concern or easy hop up to be done to these? Besides the ignition advancer/exhaust/carb mods. I am not looking at it now but aren't the seats on the 85-87 all one piece?(not seperate rider and pillion like newer 88-92)do they make a solo cowl for the 85-87 that covers the passenger seat area?(if so I might keep the original. Does anyone make a replica of the 750 limited tailsection with solo seat? Reason is I have the seat base and foam for the model solo rear.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
86-87 u.s. spec bikes have a 1-piece seat, with a cover for the passenger section. i don't know if covers are still available from the aftermarket, and i doubt they're still made by suzuki.

airtech still makes replica stuff for the older bikes. i generally don't like airtech stuff (there are much better fiberglass fairings by other companies available), but they're one of the very few who still make stuff for the older bikes....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I meant the 6 speed in the 750 vs the 1100 but something got lost in the translation from thought to typed word. How much does the hindle Cost? I figure that about 90 RWHP would be plenty since I used to rip all over the place on an FZR600 when I was a teenager It seemed plenty fast for the street and dynoed at like 77 RWHP.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
mint condition all-stock 750's of that vintage can fetch more than $3.5k.....$2k's a steal.

stock intakes and exhausts are horribly restrictive....with a good aftermarket exhaust, a well set-up set of stage 3 34-36mm cv's, and 4-5 degree ignition advancer, you can walk away with 10-15hp easy...

[ 05-13-2002, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: jeff ]

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Check with Ron Ayers (he's a sponsor of the site) for the Hindle. You'll be looking for the 4 in 2 in 1 which is Hindle part number SXR790SS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts