Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 85 gsxr-750. The rear shock is thrashed. is it rebuildable, or if it is not are there any other years that would be compatable {no I can't spell}. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
It might be rebuildable. Look at the area around the piston (inside the spring) if it has the edge of threads showing between the body and that area has a face or indention for a tool, then yes, you can get it rebuilt.

Years that are compatible...85, 86,& 87...and only 750 shocks. 1100 shocks are 1" longer (2.54cm) and are a real bitch to try to have fit, plus they have a heavier weight spring.

Companies that make new replacement shocks are... Fox, WP, Ohlins, and Progressive Suspension. These are available with options like... ride height adjustment, Rebound adj., Damping adj., and an appropriate Spring weight for you and your riding style.

·
Registered
811 Posts
i had the same problem and cant get aftermarket over here in oz...
shock from suzuki was $1200 australian!!!!! so i eventually found a bloke that custom built me one off i think a ZZR1100 for $600.
probably not much help to ya but thought id put my 2 cents in anyway!!
good luck

·
Registered
434 Posts
if you have access to a machine shop you can adapt a later model shock to the early linkage wich is what I did but it is much simpler to buy a fox etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts