Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont think you guys in the u.s. got the 85 model but im after advice. I got VM29SS carbies on it that need a rebuild and been told theyre really hard to tune so thinking of putting something later model on or aftermarket. also thinking of buying an 88 model 750 for parts. i know the motor is different but are wheels, brakes, suspension etc compatible or am i better off sticking with what i got and rebuilding. Any advice on mods would be appreciated..

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
It's got a lot of potential as it sits...most of the '88 parts would bolt right on, the whole front end and the rear wheel for sure. That will get you 17" tire choices and you'll be much happier. Dialing in the suspension is something else, New springs and Race Tech (you should be able to get them in Oz) emulators will help the front end. Works Performance and Hyperpro are rear shock options too. Maybe Ohlins ($$$$).

As for what we're all in search of...more power...a set of 34mm carbs will insert into the '86 750's intake boots as the OD on both are the same. I don't know about the '85 29mm carbs' OD. That would allow you to fit bigger carbs without porting, and you could just put some K&N filter pods on. As for exhausts, Hindle out of Canada or Yoshimura are two options. I have a Hindle

If I were going to seek out a newer gixxer to be a donor for the '85...I would get a '92 750 or a '93 1100. You could swap the running gear and the motors and have a real sweet bike.

But your '85 is a real sweet bike with just a few tweeks.

Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice mate...will start checking out prices on a 92 model...so the front and rear end will bolt straight on then??
would buy a later model bike but already replaced all the fairing so figure i should stick with what i got....and you cant beat them for style anyway!!!

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
the rear wheel will pop right in, The front end will need the steering stops ground off the lower of the triple tree.

Like here...

The 34mm carbs measure 40ish on the OD...

Here's mine after I cleaned it up and got it road worthy...

Here's what it looks like before I tore into the motor to do a 907cc big bore/38mm carb/'92 valve head with the '94 front end and rear wheel...

I like getting greasy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts