Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at an old (85) gixxer 750, bloke wants a £1000 for it but its been stood a while (was a trade in) as a result the battery is flat and the carbs probably bunged up. It looks like an import (fuel gauge, 180km/h clock). Is it likely to be a shed and what do i need to look for? Plus where do these go wrong or blow up? Any help please, cheers lads and lasses!!!

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
how long has it been stored? if it's been stored for a long time with used motor oil in the engine, bad things can happen.....used motor oil can chew up the insides of a motor after a while.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeff:
how long has it been stored? if it's been stored for a long time with used motor oil in the engine, bad things can happen.....used motor oil can chew up the insides of a motor after a while.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He recons about 8 months, rode it in, looks ok but i expect to give it a full service anyway, whats best to flush the old crap out?

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
i'd drain the old oil, change the filter, fill it with new oil (nothing fancy), put a teaspoon of new oil in each cylinder, start the bike up, ride it around for like 50-100 miles or so, then do another oil and filter change.

assuming the bike starts and runs....i'm guessing it probably won't, the carbs would likely be gummed up.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
the bike's been stored inside, right?

the cylinder liners are iron - so if the bike's been sitting outside for that long being rained and snowed on and water has gotten into the engine, the liners would probably have rusted.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yup has been stored inside a (not totally brillient but ok) outhouse and apart from a little dust doesnt look rusty and the frame doesnt look oxidised (still quite shiny under the dust), just in need of a little TLC. How do i get oil to the clutch or will it go there after i change the oil, also heard something about they can drop gears, is this true? Apart from the oil change and degumming the carbs (is this a hard job?) what else is likely to have degraded over time? Also what sort of jobs am i likely to need to do over time too? Any good websites for these old gixxers too? Sorry about all the questions and thanks for all the help so far
)

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
the frame won't oxidize (at least, not visibly on the outside), because it has clear anodizing over it.

when you fill the bike with oil, it'll oil up the clutch, but if you really want to be exact about it, you can pull the clutch cover off, disassemble the clutch, and soak the plates and discs in motor oil overnight.

the tranny should be okay unless it's been abused - but any tranny that's been abused will eventually show signs anyway. you can't tell the condition of the tranny unless you actually inspect it (i.e. remove the motor and split the cases), or ride the bike.

if you're mechanically inclined, you can remove the carbs yourself and clean them, otherwise take them to a shop and they'll do it for you for a nominal fee.

the tires will also probably need to be replaced.

the fuel tank might be rusted inside, especially if it's been sitting empty or close to it.

as for other components, it all depends on how the bike's been treated over the years.

if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: jeff ]

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not likely in your case but for my '86 which sat for over 2 years, the hydraulic clutch slave ended up with rust and sediment. It ended up failing on a ride to work one morning.

Its not a fun job but refreshing the fluids in the clutch and brakes are not a bad idea.

May want to check the condition of the fuel tank, again for sediment/condensation. Fuel filters are extremely easy and add some piece of mind.

Chain lube/tension. Sprocket condition. I even changed my fork oil, brake pads and front tire but again, sat 2 years.

Oh and if you have time the muffler bearings can always give you trouble.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Don't know if it was a typo on your part, but if the speedo only reads 180kmh, then its probably a home market model, ie Japan. If this is the case, I'd give it a pass.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yup thats correct 180km/h so i thought the same, jap home market, whats up with them? Are they restricted to 78bhp the same way as jap home market FZ750's are? More questions i know, sorry!!!!

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
yeah, i had a set of gauges from an '86 canadian 750 lying around, i think it read to 260kph.

it's possible that your bike may be restricted, but then again, a previous owner may have done away with the restrictions.

only way to know for sure would either be to stick it on a dyno or ride a 'full power' model back-to-back, the difference should be very noticeable.

·
Registered
489 Posts
hey if the motor is toast, just look for any air cooled gsxr motor to drop in there. 750/1100. I like the 90 personally.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.