Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
\'85 gsx-r 750 what to look for?

Hi everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I'm just in the process of trading my Mustang for an '85 gsx-r 750. Wondering if there's anything I should be looking for in this bike. Specific problems and what I should check would be great.

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Re: \'85 gsx-r 750 what to look for?

You're going to ride your gixxer this winter?? Have you heard the term "Brass Monkey"??

To answer your question...

Take the fairing mids and lowers off to get a GOOD look at the motor. Does it look like it was just steam cleaned? Check the edges of the motor where the gaskets show. Suzuki gaskets are blue, most good aftermarket gskets are black/grey, and synthetic silicon gasket sealant will show beading. These would be clues of motor work. Could be good or bad.
Look at the nuts and bolts holding covers and frame parts. Do they look worn, rounded, stripped, rusted, caked with crud or are they shiney from TLC? Common places of oil leakage are around the drain plug (behind the kickstand on the oil pan), the edges of the cam cover mounting bolts (two on each side, not a big deal if they leak), the unions of the oil lines and the cooler/oilpan(easy to fix if the mainbolts aren't stripped), the gasket around the countershaft behind the drive sprocket (easy to replace).

The forks may be totally crapped out. They could be brought to life with Race Tech springs (to match your weight) and an emulator valve kit. New seals and oil would be a start. The rear shock, if original, will definately be crap. Don't bother to do anything to it. Bite the bullet and buy a Works Performance or Penske with a reservoir to replace it.

If you can get a copy of the October 2001 Sport Rider magazine ([email protected]) there is a feture on that model of gixxer and giving a refresher. (page 55 of that issue)

If you desire to modify and drasticly improve it, well, the sky or your wallet is the limit. eBay is a good resource for used items at good prices, if you win the bidding.

It's a good bike, with a lot of potential and there's no reason not to buy it. Unless you just don't want to get greasy.

Glad you could join us...welcome to gixxer central!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the info, I'm taking a better look at it tomorrow and if it looks good then I'll be buying it.

ps,

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

By the way, I'm buying it now but I ain't riding in the winter. I've been called crazy but not that crazy. For some reason I don't think Michelins do very well in the snow.

The guy who I'm trading my Mustang for the bike is also giving me a 1980 Grand Marquis with 74000 original km on it. I'll be cruising in that boat all winter.

Oh well, at least it's rear wheel drive.

Can you say doughnuts?

·
Registered
139 Posts

I have some parts that might help to bring your 85 to life, and I have owned several 85's before, so email me directly with questions, should you have any.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts