Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,331 Posts
The K7 exhaust cam has substantially more lift than K6. I'm guessing that it and the PCV/tune are responsible for most of your gains. The K7 tank insulation easily installs on the K6.

Re. AFAM sprockets: I've been searching for an AFAM 93622-42. They're not imported into the US any more, AFAM won't respond to my email, and the only place I can find in Europe is extraproducts.gr in Athens.
1. Do you know what the hell is going on with AFAM?
2. Do you happen to be familiar with extraproducts.gr and, if so, are they reputable?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes the exhaust cam has huge power but i think its the combination of all of them among with degrees and a great engineer to make it happen!
1 have no idea why they r not imported.
2 i dont know them in person but yes he is a trusted dealer.

·
Registered
924 Posts
i think its the combination of all of them among with degrees and a great engineer to make it happen!
I was just about to state this, for there is no way that just a change of cams could make 25+ HP
If that were true, people would've been gutting out k7/8 cams for the past 12 years like fat ladies at a pie sale
Hell, I'd wager that even a +5 increase would've made people make a run on those cams before they're all out

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The ex k8 cam have more lift than Yoshi k5/6. So if it's possible with Yoshi to make hp, why feels so strange to u on this mod to make hp?
If that's possible to me. It's possible for you too. I have no benefit to post lies here mate. I shared the Best solution for old bikes to be faster without spending tones of money.

·
Registered
924 Posts
The ex k8 cam have more lift than Yoshi k5/6. So if it's possible with Yoshi to make hp, why feels so strange to u on this mod to make hp?
If that's possible to me. It's possible for you too. I have no benefit to post lies here mate. I shared the Best solution for old bikes to be faster without spending tones of money.
I don't think it's strange, K7/8 does have almost 10 more HP on crank than the 5/6 from the factory, that has to come from somewhere, cams could be one of those things

I only state the cams alone aren't solely responsible for such a power gain, and you state as much in your post, because going from basic mods (pipe and filter)
you have changed/added:
APE Adjustable cam sprockets, K8 stock set of cams, Brocks pin, ECU+PCV tune together, raised rpm by 240, Cometic thin Head Gasket
So, does the cam add HP? Probably
How much? Unknown since there are various other parts changed, but I think it's a safe bet that it doesn't produce +21hp by itself

Edit:

Oh, and from the looks of things you've changed, I wouldn't call your power gains "Cheap"

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It's not cheap? Try to buy Yoshi cams alone and let me know about the brand new price.
My Total cost was about 1k€
My question now is do you have something to suggest on extra mods for my next set up?
cause on this stage i have nothing more to mention?
Btw the difference between k7/8 n k5/6 is about 3whp more only above 9k rpm

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I dont know mate, i never asked my mechanic about it. but i will
My track K5 1000 has K7 cams 107/109 + other mods and makes 178rwhp. My street K1 with K5 1000 engine (Yoshi STR Type S cams) makes 168rwhp on the same dyno.

Bikes with a full system and tune make around 160rwhp.

·
Registered
924 Posts
It's not cheap? Try to buy Yoshi cams alone and let me know about the brand new price.
My Total cost was about 1k€
My question now is do you have something to suggest on extra mods for my next set up?
cause on this stage i have nothing more to mention?
Btw the difference between k7/8 n k5/6 is about 3whp more only above 9k rpm

Apparently something is getting lost in translation
you claim that it went on the bench with just a pipe and filter and made 157 rwhp

then you put on
-APE Adjustable cam sprockets,
-K8 stock set of cams, Brocks pin,
-ECU+PCV tune together, raised rpm by 240,
-Cometic thin Head Gasket
and making 178 rwhp after all these EXTRA modifications

that's not "JUST" a cam swap, that some pretty big work to do to an engine

Not only that, but all those parts and labor to have it installed AND dyno-time ain't free, I'm seriously interested how you got all that done below €1000

Now, you could be a good sport and remove all other parts except the cam so we know how much extra power it actually makes by itself :LOL:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Smart shopping meets smart project and a smart engineer. Results are above. Read more write less son.
That's all ?
Big work to the engine...?
/Facepalm ??

·
Registered
262 Posts
My track K5 1000 has K7 cams 107/109 + other mods and makes 178rwhp. My street K1 with K5 1000 engine (Yoshi STR Type S cams) makes 168rwhp on the same dyno.

Bikes with a full system and tune make around 160rwhp.
THIS IS ABSOLUTELY COOOOOORECT B/c my 3 K7’s did as well

·
Registered
924 Posts
Smart shopping meets smart project and a smart engineer. Results are above. Read more write less son.
That's all ?
Big work to the engine...?
/Facepalm ??
swapping gasket, installing cams with different timing
Compared to a simple can and filter, i.e. what most people do? Yes!

And again, I'm only reading what you wrote: that contrary to the topic title, the power gains were not ONLY from a cam swap, but more work went into your bike to achieve 21 more hp

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Who is changing just cams when the Head is opened. None
All cams need degrees to give the max power and work well.
So that's left is a 2 leaf head gasket.
Where did you see the big engine work?
The title is like This cause THE MOST power comes from the cams ?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Who is changing just cams when the Head is opened. None
All cams need degrees to give the max power and work well.
So that's left is a 2 leaf head gasket.
Where did you see the big engine work?
The title is like This cause THE MOST power comes from the cams ?
How do you know?, did you yest the cams before installing those other parts?

Yoshi cams by themselves seem to make only +5hp on busa's
...and those cams aren't considered garbage

The power you gained is the sum of all parts, not just one part specificly

·
Registered
924 Posts
How about you show us a dynochart with only the cams installed?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts