Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I got my gsxr close to where I want it for now. However, after I stopped work on it, and started riding her all the time, I noticed something was missing in my life. I felt the need to build something up again. I have been wanting a bobber for a while. Something rediculous that I could cruise to work on. Or go on a slow paced bone jarring cruise on. At this point in my life I don't have much money to blow on this project so I set a budget of 500 for the whole project. This past Monday I found it..a 1983 Yamaha xj750 maxim. My roommate and i picked it up with 138000 miles on it for 500 bucks! Complete with 4 signatures on the title. At 3pm Monday afternoon she looked like this
ImageUploadedByMO Free1355529452.013219.jpg
I got her home, went to the gym, then went up to the shop and started work on her. I took the battery out of my gix, cleaned the carbs. Changed the oil(not really),and she fired right up....the next course of action was to cut her up with no remorse. We took the exhaust off and cut that up with the plasma. following that I still did not feel like I had hurt her enough...so I ripped everything off and got to cutting...cut the whole subframe area off and decided to make her a rigid.

The next night, Tuesday, I realized I had to make some sort of seat. I had originally intended to scrounge a seat off of an old huffy bicycle, but I couldn't find one for free. So we bent up some metal, cut some metal, and made a seat. ImageUploadedByMO Free1355530136.060565.jpg
Also came to the conclusion I'd need a fender so my shirt didn't get sucked in the tire(as shown above). Also made a suicide shifter, and suicide brake out of some chain and a set of dirtbike handlebars. Following that we tidied up some wires, wired up some lights, made a battery box, a push start because the ignition was screwed up, made my gixxer key work in the ignition because I had lost the key by the second day. And did some other peasant crap. And here she is ImageUploadedByMO Free1355530433.995045.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1355530457.810445.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1355530479.801629.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ImageUploadedByMO Free1355530542.548588.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1355530582.232234.jpg
More randomly from my phone. Had to rig up a Briggs and Stratton law mower gas tank for testing because my vacuum petcock is unopperational at this time.
I know it's unsafe at any speed, I know it's stupid, and I know you all may hate it. But I'm not going to kid you all, or myself, it probably will never leave the driveway lol

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
This is an interesting read. By the looks of the photos, you're setting this up for set on "Mad Max".

I'm glad you're being honest when you say, "it will never leave the driveway".

Ed

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not necessarily set on mad maxing it. I made it out of scrap steel we had around the shop. I had the intention of using the bike to practice tig welding, and painting, and also to become more comfortable around wiring. So we'll see how it progresses in the coming months. As of right now it's in good company in the driveway ImageUploadedByMO Free1355583565.098773.jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. They're not all mine. I live with 3 other dudes and we all have bikes so the bike collection appears extensive.

Not too much done on the xj this week. Cleaned the carbs up as there was a sand dune in the bottom of every carb, made some air filter out of an old pair of boxers...
ImageUploadedByMO Free1356153551.629427.jpg
i decided to ride this turd to work today in Lieu of the gixxer and got some pretty rowdy/disgusted looks from my coworkers as I rode in until they noticed it was me. Also, my roommate and I made up a set of rear sets for an xs650 after work today in the shop. Came out pretty good. ImageUploadedByMO Free1356152984.020107.jpg

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
These bikes are beautiful to us...and that's all that matters. Nice work on the rear sets.

Ed

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey man those xj's are perfect for bobber/cafe builds. Im currently bobbing an 82 xj650 myself (see my profile pic). Check out www.xjbikes.com pretty decent forum with quite a few people doing similar projects. Good luck with your build man! Subscribed!

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
Looks like fun. I hope your roads are really smooth! I remember when rigid rears were popular when I was a teenager but our roads were awful. The rigids would pound you pretty quickly. They sure were good for doing burnouts.
I had an XS 650 when I was 18, they were fun bikes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like fun. I hope your roads are really smooth! I remember when rigid rears were popular when I was a teenager but our roads were awful. The rigids would pound you pretty quickly. They sure were good for doing burnouts.
I had an XS 650 when I was 18, they were fun bikes.
Roads are pretty good down here. The rigid actually doesn't feel too ridiculous for some reason. Took this bike out this morning to take burnout/donut pictures, and cruise the roads for a bit... thing sounds like a damn straight piped subaru...expect burnout pics soon
And the Xj has a xs650 friend it sits in the shop with sometimes too. ATTACH]195807[/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, no burnout/donut pics, as they turned out like doo-doo. But heres a few pics of this turd as of today. Its now torn apart ready for a dirty stripper inspired respray...

after getting beat around the bush this morning (as she sits now)

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
Pardon my overlooking your bike--I just noticed it is shaft-driven (shafty) and also has a rear drum brake.

I'm constantly learning things about this bike. Can't wait to get mine home from the shop and start tinkering with it.

Keep up with the posts.

Ed

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
Is that a welded chain link rear brake lever? I remember a bunch of guys did handlebars like that when I was younger.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pardon my overlooking your bike--I just noticed it is shaft-driven (shafty) and also has a rear drum brake.

I'm constantly learning things about this bike. Can't wait to get mine home from the shop and start tinkering with it.

Keep up with the posts.

Ed
It is a shafty. It made getting the rear wheel off a little challenging since I made it a rigid. But it can be done. The shaft drive is nice in that it requires far less maintenance than a chain drive.
After reading up on these bikes, I think they were pretty advanced for the time. The 81s came with an anti dive system on the front forks that helped to counteract the front end dive associated with heavy braking forces from the dual front rotor set up. They also had an induction control system "yics" that was essentially an extra chamber in the head that had air/fuel swirlling around in it, and when needed could inject the air/fuel into the combustion chamber, and this was to boost fuel efficiency. (Not sure if I was correct on how it works). It also had a damn Atari video game on the dash which showed all sorts of unneeded stuff and had a digital fuel level indicator.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is real life...
ImageUploadedByMO Free1356330994.750534.jpg
I stripped my tank to paint it...as I grinder away I though "goddamn this is a big dent"...kept grinding until I got to the end...thought to myself "how the f*ck am I going to deal wit...erhmygawd...that is a giant cock and balls...wtf...I'd this happening!..Karma's such a c*nt....getting me back for all the dicks I've drawn over the last 22 years..." The rant went on for several hours in my head. At one point I tried convincing myself that " I'd never draw a dick again." then thinking.."f*ck it it's a 400 dollar bike...leave it." I don't know if I'm going to try and pick up another tank, rebondo the cock, or rock out with my cock out. ImageUploadedByMO Free1356331646.169744.jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seriously, this wiener is way bigger than my own, my cats, or that tranny that snuck up on me the other day on slutload. How does a dent repair end up like this...oldfart, is this your old bike?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts