Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a 2016 GSX-R750 still wearing the stock rubber. Bike had 2200 miles when I bought it and with a few track days last season they are pretty toasted. So might as well change them now.

Probably 60-80% of use will be track days. The rest is fairly mild street riding. I seem to bring rain clouds with me so wet traction is important. I’m old and don’t ride that well or that hard so I am willing to trade some high angle lean performance for rain performance or longevity. I hope to do 5-10 days this season.

There seem to be a lot of new tires out so I am at sea with choices. Had one recommendation for Dunlop Q3 Plus SportMax, but even that is based on the previous version. Had Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas on my SV650SF, now the have Rosso II and III, Corsa II And SuperCorsa.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,524 Posts
Are there any reliable tire vendors at your track? Use their DOT approved trackday tire. If you're not wearing out the rear tire in 2 track days, your skills aren't high enough that you would notice profile difference and even then...

Dunlops like to slide around a bit.
Pirelli stick better, but have a fine line between some/all loss of traction.
Michelin are in the middle.
I've never tried Bridgestone.

·
Registered
193 Posts
For 80 track/20 street= Q4, Q3+, RS10. Super cheap and super sticky for street going tires. Btw they all have $40 rebates that expire tonight.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I tried a set of Q4s for my last set. Real confidence inspiring, but lasted 5 days on a street trip. The middle was fine, but sides were trashed. The bad thing was, it was a seven day trip...

Never had them on track, but sure they would perform well without the need for warmers.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,844 Posts
People really like the new S22 and the Q4. But, as was said, they don't last a long time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Kind of torn right now between the Pirelli Diablo Rosso III, Rosso Corsa II and the latest [street/track] Dunlop which seems to be the 3 Plus.

Had the first gen Rosso and Rosso Corsa, and found the Corsa to be much worse in rain, so that’s a concern. Guess I’ll have to think about just how much rain riding I’ll really be doing. Not ready for another set of rims until I start doing more days.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,844 Posts
Kind of torn right now between the Pirelli Diablo Rosso III, Rosso Corsa II and the latest Dunlop which seems to be the 3 Plus.

Had the first gen Rosso and Rosso Corsa, and found the Corsa to be much worse in rain, so that’s a concern. Guess I’ll have to think about just how much rain riding I’ll really be doing. Not ready for another set of rims until I start doing more days.
Q3+ is the latest street-oriented tire, the Q4 is the latest tire for track.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have always been a Michelin fan and ran the PR2s for years with great mileage and awedome edge grip. Truly the best sport touring type tire. The PR3 and 4s had way to much sipping and would tear like a rain tire if pushed hard. For that, I hated them.

Here are pics of the Q4 with 7 days (in the mountains) on them. What really bothered me was how the edge wore. You can see the discoloration as well. I was running different pressures between 32 and 38 pounds.

The other pic is of a PR2 front with over 10K miles on it. Again I got caught out on a trip and killed it in the mountains. I really liked those tires. If I wasn't worried about tires being delivered that have been sitting on a shelf somewhere for three years, I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

I have always run two sets of wheels on my other bikes and have a commuting and a performance setup. I just haven't bought a set for the new bike. It won't see the track for several years and will fill more of a sport touring role for now. Considering the PR5 as they did away with most the sipping, especially on the sides where I don't think you need them. If it is raining, I am not strafing corners. If I get caught in the rain, I am usually traveling and will typically change up to interstate, follow in tire tracks and hammer down staying as straight up as possible. Reviews seem good...

I will being doing the Rolling Thunder ride in a few weeks. That will be a good 1,500 mile trip, including several hundred in the mountains with the chance of rain. The bike has a little of 2K miles on it now, and the stock Bridgestone BT016 are flattening off badly and still have a 1/2" chicken strip on the rear (bought in the fall and have not ridden any corners at anger yet). If I keep those on the bike for the trip, I know they will be shot. Going to TN a few weeks later, so I want to put commuters on it for the trip and then finish off the BT016 in TN. Then again, I am unfamiliar with how they perform in the corners.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts