Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got tired of the 750 just not handling as well as I thought it should. It seemed hard to turn in and never really seemed planted. I don't live to far from the guys at Traxxion Dynamics, so I decided to take the bike in and have them setup my suspension. Max spent about 15-25 minutes adjusting the preload, rebound, and compression. After making the adjustments he suggested that a shim kit on the rear would greatly improve the bike's ability to easily turn in. Man was he right. The bike turns in so easily now and the suspension just seems to be planted. I am very happy with the 750 now. This is what I thought the bike should handle like. The best money that I have ever spent on a bike.

I weigh around 195lbs, so if any one is interesting in the preload, rebound, and compression settings just let me know.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'd like to know, I'm 6-2, 205. What exactly did they shim? My bike seems to handle fine but then again it's my first bike so I have nothing to compare it with. I guess there's always room for improvement. Thanks...

·
Is Sexually Attracted To The Guys on GDC
21,546 Posts
im around the same weight, tell me more about what they did

thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Max basically did a lot of bouncing on the suspension and riding it around the business park. He just knows what the suspension should feel like. I will post up the settings when I get home tonight. He put a 7mm shim (basically a washer) on top of the rear shock mount between the top of the frame. I can't believe that 7mm makes that big of a difference.

·
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.
31,593 Posts
Max basically did a lot of bouncing on the suspension and riding it around the business park. He just knows what the suspension should feel like. I will post up the settings when I get home tonight. He put a 7mm shim (basically a washer) on top of the rear shock mount between the top of the frame. I can't believe that 7mm makes that big of a difference.
the rear linkage acts as a multiplier for total ride height.. you sure it wasnt a 3.5 mm shim to get you up to 7mm? i think its x2 for total height.. 3.5 -5 mm shims is what i think ive heard of doing.. i maybe wrong.. you can find out in club racer for sure

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you sure it wasnt a 3.5 mm shim to get you up to 7mm?
Nope it was 7mm. The shim kit came with a 2mm, 3mm, and 4mm shim. He used the 3mm and 4mm shim on my bike.

·
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.
31,593 Posts
you sure it wasnt a 3.5 mm shim to get you up to 7mm?
Nope it was 7mm. The shim kit came with a 2mm, 3mm, and 4mm shim. He used the 3mm and 4mm shim on my bike.
hmm ok,, im wrong then, i cant remember what was right and what wasnt. if it work, then even better

·
Registered
538 Posts
would this apply to my skinny ass? 5'11" 135lbs..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok here are the settings on my bike. Please let me know what you think.

Rear
- 7mm Shim
-Preload (4 thread lines showing above collar)
-Compression (1/4 turn out)
-Rebound (1/4 turn out)

Front
-Preload (2 lines showing)
-Compression (1 turn out)
-Rebound (1 turn out)

These settings work great for me, but I am about 195 lbs, so it may not work well if you are 15-20 lbs lighter than me or 15-20 lbs heavier.

You may be able to give it a try with out the shim, but the shim really improves the turn in. The shim is just basically a washer or two that is about 7mm thick that goes between the top of the shock mount and the frame.

Good look and let me know if you have questions or opinions on the settings.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I know I went 8mm up on the rear eye-to-eye and also raised to forks 4mm. Bike kept wanting to tuck the front so I put it back to stock in the front.

Raising the rear really helps with mid-corner and exits. Mine kept running wide exiting corners, no problems now. Noticed the problem on the street (that's how obvious it is), fixed it at the track.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine seemed to go wide a little, but the big thing was ease of turn in. Now it just dives into a turn. I am really amazed at the difference.

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
What did the suspension tuning set you back? I'd like to do that on my bike. Do you ever ride 2 up? How would it handle that after being speficially tuned for you?

I don't claim to know alot about suspensions, but my 04 600 feels like it's set up for somebody heavier. I weigh all of about 150 pounds, and my suspension settings haven't been touched from the factory.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I never ride two up on my GSX-R750. The setup on the suspension ran me about $70.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts