Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, was rode a little last night, had to go pick some things up. Stopped at the store, bike had been running fine all the way there(bout 30 miles). Went to leave, whole way home bike wouldn't rev above 7k. No matter what gear, whether I had the clutch puled in or what. Ran just like it was supposed to up to 7k, then just like it was on the rev limiter. Was getting really mad at it. I got home and shut it off, looked it over, and saw nothing. So I started it back up and it ran fine. I got a trip to the gap planned this weekend and just wondered if anyone might know what is going on with my bike, cause I have no idea.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Could have been something that temporarily blocked fuel flow, and (hopefully) cleared itself out. If I were you, I'd inspect the fuel filter before your trip (gotta pull the pump from the tank and partially disassemble the pump).

There weren't any FI errors, were there? (that would be unrelated to the fuel pump/filter)

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Could have been something that temporarily blocked fuel flow, and (hopefully) cleared itself out. If I were you, I'd inspect the fuel filter before your trip (gotta pull the pump from the tank and partially disassemble the pump).
There weren't any FI errors, were there? (that would be unrelated to the fuel pump/filter)
Yeah, isn't that what happens when it goes into "fail safe" mode when there is an FI error?

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
When the bike goes into fail-safe mode, the ECU uses a set value for whatever sensor is error'ing out, rather than reading it. Depending on what sensor is reading a bad value, along with environmental conditions, the affect can differ greatly. I've personally never seen a bike exhibit this behavior when in fail-safe, but I can't say it's not possible.

Have any of you guys noticed drastic performance problems with a fail-safe FI error (one that allows the bike to keep running?)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I forgot to say that there were no errors, and I didn't have anything to try to put it in dealer mod. I had already thought of checking the filter, but as usual when the filter might be clogged, it has a full tank. I thought it might be bad gas, until I started it the second time and it was fine. It would rev fine and just about the time mid range was going to open up, it would start in on the rev limiter, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Yea, I forgot to say that there were no errors, and I didn't have anything to try to put it in dealer mod. I had already thought of checking the filter, but as usual when the filter might be clogged, it has a full tank. I thought it might be bad gas, until I started it the second time and it was fine. It would rev fine and just about the time mid range was going to open up, it would start in on the rev limiter, thanks for the help!
Hrmm.... you know far more about it than me lean_angle... Could it be something up with the butterfly valves? (not the throttle ones, the ones above that the ECU controls) could something be off that's restricting air flow (closing them off) once he gets to a certain RPM?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought abou tthat too, I tried to set them once last year, but noticed no difference. I think they click whenever I start the bike, after the fuel pump kicks off I hear a clicking noise for a little bit, usually it stops after a few seconds. I have thought about removing them, but I am afraid of losing all the bottum end. What thoughts do you guys have on this?

Sirius, nice sig.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
I think they do their job and do it well... maintaining intake velocity. I personally am not a fan of removing them unless you're drag racing, or plan on spending alot of dyno time getting the bike remapped. Even then - I think they're beneficial for most street bikes.

If they weren't opening properly - like you said RU... could lead to the same problems. However, if they're not doing their thing, an FI error should be thrown.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you ahve a link to where I can see how to adjust them post it and I will try that. I haven't adjusted it since last summer and can't remember all the steps. I spend some time at the track, but haven't went much this year, one of the main reasons I haven't took them off is b/c I don't have a pc to remap it with.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, this problem went away for a while, but now it's back. I just wondered if anyone has any ideas, if it does it I can hit the kill switch and turn it back on and pop the clutch and it is fine, any ideas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts