Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of doing a simple low bugget cafe bike right now....
It started out a 2 owner 12,000 mile 1979 GS 550. In pretty good condition. I bought down in Alabama for $350.00.
I am doing the entire build in my little barn "bike shop" myself. And I know, some of you are going to think that going "cafe" is played out, or part of the ongoing "fad". But I have been making my early muscle bikes into Cafe style rides since I started riding. It's the style I like, don't matter to me if it's trendy or not.
I brought it home and got it to fire up in about 30 min. Then started tearing it down. Stripped it down a bit and checked out the clubmans.....they look so cool dont they ....

I layed out and drilled the front rotor , ordered some cool rear shocks, repainted a bunch of the front end parts. Then rebuilt the forks with progressive springs.

Im doing a set of carbs for it right now.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then I started cleaning the frame and engine up a bit...thought the engine would look good in low gloss black....Going to leave the head bare aluminum, and it will be running a black 4 into 1 Jardine NOS header with black wrap......

Got a cool black chrome projector beam headlight assy. Painted all the triples, headlight bucket ect in high gloss black .....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I said earlier, I am working on a set of carbs right now. It came with Mikuni VM22's. I got a set of KZ 650 VM 24's from a friend, and I am dissassembling that rack and my rack of VM 22's. Then I will reassemble the 24mm VM carb bodies on my GS 550 rack.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Excellent project:cheers
Is the first pic the condition the bike was in upon purchase? If so it looks amazingly clean for a 33yr old bike:eek:hmy

All the old GS bikes bring back fond memories for me,I have a soft spot for them ;)

·
Premium Member
6,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the first pic was taken right after i unloaded it at my house. Before I took it in for surgery ..... It's been stored since '05 ...... I'm not changing the factory color either ....paint is too nice to mess with. And it's a budget build. I have my Gixx pulled down doing the transmission right now.....needed something cool to ride this summer/fall ...

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
For $350 that is a steal! I have been looking for a cheap (under 500 bucks) old suzuki for me and the old lady to put around on. I wish I had your luck in finding a bike!

Bike looks clean! Up here in Kansas City everyone is doing cafe racers, but they still look good to me.

·
Premium Member
6,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, and I just kept looking on CL every day within like a 100 mi radius. For like a month or more. There are deals all the time, it's just the trick of being the 1st guy to call. Or the guy the seller likes the best ....This guy "Interviewed" me for an hour before he told me he would sell me his bike......he's owned it since '89 ....

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
G.G...I bet those cobalt drill bits had that rotor singing a tune.
I used to drill my rotors back in the 70's/early 80's with a near identical 4/3 sweep pattern as you have done.
I ran the huge 8inch headlight from one of the GS series but I can't remember which one on my RD400's, looked very cool.
I'm always tempted to pick up another RD now and then and go ape on it.
Clubmans, DG chambers, DG porcupine heads, rear sets, drilled discs, braided lines, cut down stepped seat and the list goes on...

·
Premium Member
6,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I am now installing an '05 Busa front end and a GS 1100 swinger on it. With modern wheels and rubber. Got the bearings in the mail yesterday to do the front end....and will be making a set of clevis ends for the shocks so they work with the 1100 swinger ....

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
I'm in the middle of doing a simple low bugget cafe bike right now....
It started out a 2 owner 12,000 mile 1979 GS 550. In pretty good condition. I bought down in Alabama for $350.00.
I am doing the entire build in my little barn "bike shop" myself. And I know, some of you are going to think that going "cafe" is played out, or part of the ongoing "fad". But I have been making my early muscle bikes into Cafe style rides since I started riding. It's the style I like, don't matter to me if it's trendy or not.
I brought it home and got it to fire up in about 30 min. Then started tearing it down. Stripped it down a bit and checked out the clubmans.....they look so cool dont they ....

I layed out and drilled the front rotor , ordered some cool rear shocks, repainted a bunch of the front end parts. Then rebuilt the forks with progressive springs.

Im doing a set of carbs for it right now.....
Man, that's sweet for a '79. The more I see this bike, the more I want restore the one I just bought.

Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts