Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,
would the camshaft from the 750 watercooled fit an 1100 watercooled (93). My exhaust cam is worn to below the 36.62mm limit so needs replacing.

If anyone has tried this combination, what were the results?
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
If your not GOOD with a degree wheel and checking clearances I would't recommend it.Stock 1100 cams are easy to come by.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Ive heard that 95+ 1100's didn't only get a nicer swinger, but also received an updated cam spec

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Ive heard that 95+ 1100's didn't only get a nicer swinger, but also received an updated cam spec
plus forks,frame,header,muffler,headlights,uppercowling,rear footpegs,ignition,clip ons,coolant fill location,engine/frame mounts,gearing,rims....blah blah blah

·
Fortunae Nihil
2,898 Posts
plus forks,frame,header,muffler,headlights,uppercowling,rear footpegs,ignition,clip ons,coolant fill location,engine/frame mounts,gearing,rims....blah blah blah
Well then, anybody want to buy a prime 1994 model?

(J/K)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello folks! Thanks for all the information. I guess I will stick to 1100 cams. So my exhaust cam is at 36.1 for a number of the lobes (and thus out of service limit).
Does anyone have a minty exhaust cam they are lloking to off-load? Preferably a 95+ ?? :yumyum

Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
172 Posts
Is repair/reprofiling an option?
If the cam is only just out of the service limit maybe it's not really so bad & easily recoverable?
I've heard of engineering shops doing this sort of work (metal spraying & regrinding), maybe someone here knows a little more about this work & who can do it well?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is repair/reprofiling an option?
If the cam is only just out of the service limit maybe it's not really so bad & easily recoverable?
I've heard of engineering shops doing this sort of work (metal spraying & regrinding), maybe someone here knows a little more about this work & who can do it well?
that's a good idea. I will do some asking about to see what I can get done here. However the budget will constrain as I have already picked a piston kit....
Thanks for the information :)

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
here is the note for all you lazy bastards

1992-1995: GSX-R1100 WN,WP,WR models 1074cc, 40mm carbs

"They designed the motor round a bigger bore and higher compression, and then de-tuned it. Very odd. These water-cooled engines love compression, and 13:1 works well on the street. These motors don't necessarily need a Dynojet kit - we play around with the mains and move the needle on this model. Fit a K&N filter but leave the rest of the intake alone. Replacement exhausts are a bit of a bugger on the watercoolers - Termignoni is the only one I've seen fitting properly"

"Skim the head for more mid-range, and fit a 1192cc kit if you want serious dollops more torque. The standard cams need to be re-timed, but a Yoshimura inlet cam, used with the standard exhaust cam, works very well. You could try the cams from one of the water-cooled GSX-R750s. They go straight in, help it rev all the way. Leave the ignition alone on these bikes, and fit a Kayaba rear shock for better ride quality."

1992-1995: GSX-R1100 WN,WP,WR models 1074cc, 40mm carbs

"It seems pretty strong, but we've not worked on as many as the oil-cooled engine. There's no stage 3 Dynojet kit available for this bike, so life's much easier and the airbox is very good, anyway. If you want to go past Stage 1, you'll have to fit 41mm Keihins straight away. so tough. Skorpion, Vance & hines and Cobra exhuast systems all work well on these models, and the Wiseco big-bore kit takes it out to 1117cc and 12:1 compression. Nice power, but we just fitted a WP with the pistons from an 1127 GSX-R. Worked very well - we estimate 160bhp."

"The standard heads are very good on the watercooled engines, and you can fit the 38mm carbs from a GSX-R750L. Not as small as the 36mm carb, not too big like the 40mm carb, the work well. A 5� ignition advancer again helps in the low to midrange, pulls you that little bit harder out of the corners. Other than that, the usual GSX-R stuff about money=power applies."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts