Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some roll-ons with a friend the other night. Just curious re: what you guys think of the results.

Roll-on #1 - Starting at ~100km/h in 5th gear. 929 wins
Roll-on #2 - Starting at ~100km/h in 4th gear. 929 wins

I'm aware that the extra displacement helps the 929 in a straight line, but I've heard for a long time that a 750 can match it.
Is this only in a certain range? Maybe only in the top end where ram air plays a greater part?

I'm not disappointed or anything. Just wondering I can give give him a better run for his money next time.

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
929's are slow lol, 750 will eat them. 954rr is a better match, but the 750 is still faster.

Are you pulling the clutch in and reving it before taking off on the roll on? Comparing 5th gear to another bike 5th isnt going to give you a good comparison. Start off the line to the end, youll see youll leave them.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you pulling the clutch in and reving it before taking off on the roll on? Comparing 5th gear to another bike 5th isnt going to give you a good comparison.
No, we both just whacked the throttle open. He pulled on me immediately, and I just waited for power to come from a higher rev range. It was a painful wait.

·
Registered
73 Posts
the 750's rev higher than a 929 so say u was both doing 5000rpm at 70mph with both in 5 gear u both open the throttle at the same time , now cause his only revs to 11000 rpm he hits his power sunner say 6500 rpm but ur power comes in at around 8000 - 9000 so u have to wait longer to hit the power, now start at a standstill and do a drag race and u will find u will wipe the floor with the 929.

my friend had a fireblade 929 and i have a k2 750 gsxr he had a quick go on my bike and he says it felt alot faster than is 929 did.

now he has a fireflade 1000 04 model and he still cant wipe the floor with me cause i have about 4-5 years more experiance in riding and he only goes out on a 100 mile run during the summer every other weekend and i ride some 20,000 miles a year in all weather lol

·
Registered
951 Posts
a 00-03 GSXR750 only makes a few less hp than a 929, but does have torque.

If you are doing roll on's in any given gear the 929 should pull from you some. But in a practical setting if you were to keep your bike a gear lower and do the roll on's via speed you should match and pass him.

Many of my riding buddies have 929's and my bike really is quite equal.....with the 750 actually pulling away at the higher speeds with the 929 being limited lower. As said the 954 is much quicker. 929 were a let down .

·
Registered
55 Posts
haha i like hearing this, a kid in my hall has a 929, and it feels good knowing i'm faster without having to call him out. i'm lazy and dont want to ride the bike over a mountain pass for it. haha

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it feels good knowing i'm faster without having to call him out.
Take my experience for example. Unless you're in the right rev range (2-3k higher than the 929), the 929 will pull on you. Theoreticals aside, there's only one way for you to really find out.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Comparisons of this nature are difficult, but not entirely invalid. In my group in which I ride, we do a lot of roll on racing, but we usually start in first gear, which gives the advantage to the 750 (this is secret). My bike is dead even with a piped 2000 R1 time after time, if we do a rolling start in first and go through 4 or 5 gears. I would image that the 929 and 954 would be the same, given nearly equal rider weights and state of tune. all good fun, just pick your place to do it.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Well HP and torque figures are only part of the equation. Also individual characteristics of the motors. With the GSXR750 motor really being more "pepped" than the 929.

In all out 1/4 mile tests the 750 runs as fast or faster than the 929. It accelerates just as quick when kept in "its" power band.

I feel the 750 is superior. Now as said before the 954 is much better.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just as a side note,4th or 5th gear at 65mph you are not going anywhere..I would be in 2nd gear at those speeds..In my stock 01 750 with a bolt on I have beaten an 01 and 02 yamaha R1's..The 02 had a rider that weighs 50 lbs more then I do and I could pull on him through 3rd gear until shifting to 4th we let off..He is a more experienced then I am as well..The 01 I raced 7 times, from 40-140+ each time I walk away..Both bikes had full systems..They just did not seem to have the top end puch like the 750 and I was nailing perfect 14,000RPM shifts every time..I have ridden with a few 954's and I keep right up when I am in the rev range I need to be in, never raced one though..929 is bye bye though..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts