Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go againg

I was going to shorten my swingarm by 1", but instead, I just got a 91 750 Swingarm.

Anyway, what will need to be done to retrofit? Just bolt in and lower front forks about .5"

Also, I want to go +2 in the rear. If I use the 750 swingarm (-2 inches) and go +2 in the rear, will I about equal out or will I need to go to a new chain? My current chain is the stock 532, if I need to change I think I will switch to a 530, whadda think?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Lower the front to your comfort level, and for what gives you the best feel. Be careful with going +2 in the rear with 2in out of the wheel base, I advise this, first, change the arms, it is a straight exchange, then you will need to take I think 7- 10 links out of your chain. Ride this first before playing with sproket size. Then after you do decide if you want to change sprockets get a 520 conversion it will be better than 530, but last a little less in time.gohere for sproket and chains
email me if you need to
-Karl

·
Registered
72 Posts
Why are you shortening the swingarm? Are you planning to road race? If you are, don't use the 750 arm. True, it will bolt on, but it is not the same thing as shortening the stock arm 2 inches. The pivot linkage is slightly different between the 750 and the 1100. We do extended swingarms for dragracing, but have also shortened swingarms for Formula Extreme-type GSXR 1100s. When these guys tried to just bolt on the 750 arm, they had all kinds of problems with the rear suspension. Finally, I put both arms on the jig, and discovered that the location of the pivot bolt is slightly, and I do mean slightly, (like .100-.150", I would have to look back on my notes to find out exactly), different. This slight difference is enough to throw the linkage off. When these racers removed the 750 arms and went to a shortened 1100 arm, everything was back to working again. We have even seen similar problems, though to a lesser degree, when doing the same swap on extended length drag bike swingarms.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts