Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a 750 swingarm (my 86's) will work on a 86 1100 frame? I'd like to know before I buy it. I think it will, but I'd rather ve closer to 100% sure.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,514 Posts
I was supposed to be selling the 85-87 750 swinger to someone from this board, but we have not done the deal


what are you paying for it?

should fit your bike I believe
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Mr Gixxer:
I was supposed to be selling the 85-87 750 swinger to someone from this board, but we have not done the deal


what are you paying for it?

should fit your bike I believe
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">There's a shop in Virginia with an 1100 frame for $445 shipped. I just want to be sure before I commit.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Mr Gixxer:
only diff might be the height of the shock mount
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I wonder if that length is based on the excentric linkage. I know they're different. I wonder how far down the top mount point is?(hint hint)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,514 Posts
Originally posted by Simon Orttan:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Mr Gixxer:
only diff might be the height of the shock mount
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I wonder if that length is based on the excentric linkage. I know they're different. I wonder how far down the top mount point is?(hint hint)</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">4 1/2 inches down from the top of the crossbar where the tank mount bolts to the center of the top shock bolt hole give or take
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
simon it will fit i had one on my 1100 if your intrsested i still have it is fully braced ill give it to yafor 100 bucks u pay shipping as long as you use the 750 bearing spacersit works the 1100 arm as a bigger bearing and will not work use the 750 stuff and no problsms u just need to use the 1100 eccentricfor the shock and th corrosponding shorter linkege bolt for th eccentric ......any questions u can e mail me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Simon,
I bought a 86 750 braced arm a few years back by "accident" (Ok the guy told me it was for a 1100) Anyways, I could not get the angle right, nor could I make my fox shock work correctly no matter what hardware I mixed and matched. (it just didn't fit the swingarm right) I didnt want to butcher anything so eventually I sold it for what I paid and went back to the original.

Last winter, I got ahold of Chris Gieter who is the owner of Pro Fab in PA (His bikes have been in Sport Rider and Motorcyclist) and he even confirmed that it was'nt a bolt on. On his 87 1100 frame and 750 swingarm he said he had to change the frames shock mount, and go with a diffrent shock (If I recall) All in all, he said it really wasnt worth it (His words not mine)

If you would like, I can give you his number at Pro Fab and you can get the scoop straight from the horses mouth (or so to speak)

Let me know
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
my old 1986 GSXR1100 had a 750 swinger.
I bought it like that, but it had the original 1100 shock. Other than this I don't know much about how it fit.(but it will)
 

·
YAAFM Mod
Joined
·
3,016 Posts
I have not do it to a early model but have run a 750 arm on a 91 1100 and I am about to switch my 90 1100 arm to one as well. Is the 1100 frame because yours was damaged in the crash or because of frame flex? have you seen this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1867977943
Its a little high but you could sell off the extra parts.
Bones
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Bones_GSXR:
Is the 1100 frame because yours was damaged in the crash or because of frame flex? have you seen this one? Bones
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, I saw that one tonight. It's a bit far for shipping too.

Ideally I'd like a bad frame with a subframe I could saw off and weld on to my frame. or a 750 frame, but it seems there's nothing but 1100 frames around.

As you can see in the image below the frame is off to the left an inch or two and the rear six inches is broken off entirely. It's not pretty.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
Yeah but the 88 swing arm would cause the same problems that you had mounting the 92 1100 swinger Mr Gix, the 88 was the first year of the 2nd gen frames that used dogbones... then you run into linkage probs...
Tim here is my advice, an 86 750 swinger will work with an 86-88 1100 frame, but there will be aggravation, there always is, ask me I know.
I would look for an 88-92 750 frame and swinger, a bonus with the 2nd gen frames is the availability of use of the water pumper swinger arms. And the add strength of the 88-92 frames
then you could stuff your dry clutch motor in the 2nd gen frame, order up some 89 750RRK body work and have a kick ass replica...
-Karl
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,514 Posts
just tellin you guys what I gots


going with an 89-92 frame might not be such a bad idea

but I prefer the first gen over the second gen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,507 Posts
Originally posted by Bones_GSXR:
I have not do it to a early model but have run a 750 arm on a 91 1100 and I am about to switch my 90 1100 arm to one as well. Is the 1100 frame because yours was damaged in the crash or because of frame flex? have you seen this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1867977943
Its a little high but you could sell off the extra parts.
Bones
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">hey bones, i would be interested in that 90 model swingarm if you want to sell it...let me know...thanks..

dwayne
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top