Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is only applicable for people with a 2008/2009/2010 600 or 750...

Basically i have a 2008 750...
r55 slipon exhaust, power commander etc..and its STOCK gearing. I want to keep it this way as i love the gear ratios now...
anyway...can't get this thing to mono in 2nd gear..

I can do first, clutch it up, no probs...

but whether i'm going 60km/h or 100km/h and i'm in 2nd, dropping the thing at almost WOT i still can't get the front to come up enough. it pops up off the ground maybe 6 inches to a foot, but thats about it, can't get it to come up.

1st gear is really twitchy and hard to learn on (yes still learning) but i know 2nd gear would be much easier to control...or at least i assume it is!

anyone know how to do it or thoughts etc?

Can't do standups or "bounce" as i'm still sitting.

I weight 72kg (160lb), i'm 170cm (5'7") and i sit about 2-3 inches behind the tank.

K

·
0 Posts
ive got the same bike and -1 in the front and im having the same problem as you, itll come up maybe a foot in 2nd. but im still learning too so...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And thats with a -1??

i used to have a -2 in the front but HATED how short the gears were...
but with that on a crest i could power wheelie 2nd...
but yeh i just want to be able to cruise around and if i feel th need to wheelie, anywhere from 60km/h to 100km/h on the freeway to be able to do it..

·
Premium Member
17,232 Posts
Practice.. Like anything else.. repetition is key.. Try and be sure that the rpms are climbing as you release the clutch. I can't tell you where your rpm's should be as you let go as it depends on speed, but as you are accelerating if you are sitting, it will easily come up in the 45-52 mph range if you pull in the clutch, bring the rpms up like you are taking them to the rev limiter, and pop the clutch right about the time they get to 9000 and you stay in the throttle like you are still trying to bring up the rpms.. it will come up easily. If you bring it up fast enough they will be in the 6- 7k rpm range at BP.. Sometimes it may help to rev the bike once and then a second time and pop the clutch on the second rev to ensure the rpms are climbing as you drop it. This rhythm helped one of my friends a lot as he was less tempted to shut down the throttle.

These are just my starting guidlines. But you are my size, and that will definitely bring up the front and give you a lot of rpms to play with to find BP. It all depends on the rider and bike and you can bring it up at about any speed. Don't worry about looping it.. play with it a bit.. if you feel like your gunna loop just pull the clutch back in.. If you know you are gunna loop..tap the rear brake..although this is a lot extra to keep in mind when learning.

Your bike is more than capable of a second and third gear wheelie with stock gearing without bouncing it up or standing, but standing helps a lot.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
only worried about looping in 1st...Can't consistently hold my wheelies with 1st, maybe 3-4 seconds on a good one...but been practicing using the rear brake to bring her down, develop good habits and a natural habit to do it.

But 2nd for the life of me, just won't climb!!!

The other thing as well is - how should the clutch be set up?

As in, how far should i be pulling it in?? One thing i MIGHT be doing...is maybe pulling it too far so it fully disengages? It sounds like a lot of strain on the clutch...

But should it be still half engaged or it doesn't really matter?

Tried standing a few times and popping it up in 1st but just way too scared, my legs kinda buckle and i feel like i'm going to fall backwards off the bike and it just accelerates, and as soon as i back off its the opposite and feels like i'll go over the bars!

·
Premium Member
17,232 Posts
only worried about looping in 1st...Can't consistently hold my wheelies with 1st, maybe 3-4 seconds on a good one...but been practicing using the rear brake to bring her down, develop good habits and a natural habit to do it.

But 2nd for the life of me, just won't climb!!!

The other thing as well is - how should the clutch be set up?

As in, how far should i be pulling it in?? One thing i MIGHT be doing...is maybe pulling it too far so it fully disengages? It sounds like a lot of strain on the clutch...

But should it be still half engaged or it doesn't really matter?

Tried standing a few times and popping it up in 1st but just way too scared, my legs kinda buckle and i feel like i'm going to fall backwards off the bike and it just accelerates, and as soon as i back off its the opposite and feels like i'll go over the bars!
The clutch should be where it feels best for you.. Everyone tends to have theirs set up differently. Yes you fully disengage it, and pop it as you quickly bring up your rpms and stay in the throttle. What it sounds to me like is you aren't dropping the clutch lever fast enough because you are scared too. If you are only getting 3 or 4 second 1st gear wheelies, then you should practice holding them longer in first. I know I said finding bp is better in second, but now I don't think your are even far enough along to worry about that yet. I wouldn't expect you to find bp in first because it is violent, but you should definitely be going a lot further than 3 or 4 seconds, and playing around in first some more will build up your confidence and throttle control.

I put your problem in bold. Let me repeat one thing one more time though that will help your second and third gear wheelies. Don't just bring your rpms up high and drop the clutch. It is easier to drop the clutch AS the rpms are climbing. Keep playing with it, you'll get it. Like anything else.. try again and again.

K

·
0 Posts
yeah im still learning too. 1st gear power ups i can hold for atleast 5 seconds, i can sit and play with the throttle to keep it up and lay it back down smooth with no smack. i think my problem is not acceleration while clutching. i usually cruise around 50 and just pop the clutch from there. i'll give it a try while accelerating

·
Willing Cum Bucket
555 Posts
if your leaning forward it will make it harder cause i used to do that at first. adjust your body like maybe lean back a little bit and like york said, keep the rpm climbing and let off slowly once you get it up towards the balance point. i had a 750 and could do it with out much of a problem after practice and finding my comfort zone. keep practicing and youll eventually get it. just do so with caution

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
think the weight distribution on the k7 to k8 is the same...k6 up is when they put the engine slightly more forward than previous models...

I think i know what u mean about the acceleration now...thought you ment when i pop the clutch...but i'm not too sur eexactly what i do AFTER the front has jumped up off the ground, i THINK i'm still on great amount of throttle...will have to check back in...

K

·
0 Posts
its still not working for me. im accelerating and if i give it too much gas it spins until it catches and then only pops up maybe a foot. my tires arent that cold either, i'll be riding for a good 10 or 15 minutes

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
you definitely don't wanna be sitting back in the seat.. hump the tank.. arms and back straight

dump the clutch quick, no letting out slow

if you can't get it up in 2nd.. just learn in first. it is more sensitive but your ratio is so tall that you have lots of room to play.. and it won't have enough power for you to loop it easily. that's obviously subjective depending on your throttle sensitivity but generally speaking you should be ok

i doubt the bike will come up in 3rd on a sit-down. maybe if the stars align.. but why bother anyway.. easier to start in first/second and shift up

the bike generally is pretty jerky because it's tuned really lean from the factory to keep emissions down. a few things that will help:
- power commander - turn up your cylinder trim to 5% on all cyliners
- tps (throttle position sensor) - adjust it.. there is probably a guide how to do that in your model specific area of the forum. if not pm me i'll tell u
- upper butterflies in throttle body - take them out. be careful not to drop screws (!!!)

because your gearing is taller you also need to be closer to the power range your bike needs to bring it up in the first place.. so ride at maybe 9k rpm, and when u pop the clutch make sure u have a mit full of throttle (wide open) and just be smooth on the roll off as it comes up.

most importantly, keep doin what you are doing workin the rear brake.. that is the right approach :)

also, listen ot a couple youtube videos of guys clutching it up.. hearing the motor is really important. don't ever look at the tach.. listen to and feel the motor/bike. kind of like a jedi would

·
Registered
133 Posts
yeah im still learning too. 1st gear power ups i can hold for atleast 5 seconds, i can sit and play with the throttle to keep it up and lay it back down smooth with no smack. i think my problem is not acceleration while clutching. i usually cruise around 50 and just pop the clutch from there. i'll give it a try while accelerating
Have you ever tried chopping the throttle... I am a liter bike fanatic and just bought this 750 k6 I own and I like it. Its so small compared to liter bikes it kinda makes mr feel insecure. With that said im geared -1/+2 and I am a big fan of power wheelies... I chop it like three times and nail it at about 7k rpms. It rises tight to balance point. Well more like 10 o clock. But its close enough I can work the throttle and keep it there. Its pretty agressive and surges alot but manageable.

The triple chop is to load the springs ... I keep my arms stiff and when the front rises I pull it to my chest .. standing is the same but I put my left foot on the passenger peg. Putting your foot there will push you back and increase backward momentum and forcing a quicker rise. Plus I don't feel like im gonna fall off the bike at balance point.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Learn to reach and hold the balance point in first gear. This will do two things. One, it will get you over the fear of looping the bike and two it will get you more comfortable since you will know where the balance point is. A completely stock 750 can easily pop a wheelie and stay in the balance point in 2nd gear. If you don't want to do it that route then you're just going to have to get over your fear of looping it through determination. More throttle and a faster clutch drop during acceleration. I really don't suggest the latter.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
***UPDATE***

LOL...ok so last night was out for a spin...

anyway was in 2nd gear doing about 60-70km/h....so, re-adjusted my hand on the throttle so i could wind it to open a lot easier...anyway, flicked the clutch but this time KEPT the acceleration on, so once the clutch was out and it had jumped up a tiny bit, kept the throttle open, it started to rise...then all of a sudden went REALLY quick back, like my mate said to me i was nearly vertical....anyway i somehow managed to brign her back down by chopping the throttle...LOL...after my mate goes "my heart stopped"...i replied with "my heart started" haha...
but seriously pretty scary, i tried to do a few more after so get rid of the fear but couldn't bring her up again.

feels like i've gone back to square 1 with the fear of flipping again...

oh and my 'natural' instinct to bring her down with the rear brake hasn't kicked in yet..

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
lol.. good thing u didn't loop. thank suzuki for the lean mix.. that's the one time herky-jerky is good.

u will be fine.. psychologically next time you go out you will be more careful but you will also be more skilled so you'll quickly feel comfy again. :) the natural instinct doesn't kick in outta nowhere u have to condition it.. start riding the brake as you bring it up and just use a lil more throttle.. so if you lose it again you'll be on the brake :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeh been trying to do that...get used to bringing it down with the brake instead of backing off the throttle..slowly slowly :p
btw...u in the new throttle trauma??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
11 Participants
brownman82
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing