Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for another oil post.....

I just did an oil change on my track only K8 and have filled with full synthetic but not started the bike yet as I'm a fraction short.

I've just had 4L of Castrol Power1 delivered and it's Semi-syn. 1st thought was to send back but after a bit of Google it looks like my bike SHOULD be semi-syn however most track riders seem to think go fully syn due to living so high in the rev-range all the time.

Thoughts please.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
First of all,don't mix the two...if you have full syn in the crankcase now,top off with the same exact oil.

Nothing wrong w semi-syn,I use Motul 5100 4T in my bikes that see high rpm top end runs.

On the flip side,I use non-synthetic oil in both my turbo bikes(300rwhp,450+rwhp respectively) as per the builders recommendation. Zero issues.

Whichever oil you use,just don't use automobile engine oil,unless it has a JASO rating such as Rotella T6 which is also a very popular oil here&you can buy it at Walmart for under $25 a gal..

Topic has been debated ad nauseam over the past few decades on this forum....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx, I'll just top up with full-syn and then swap the lot to semi-syn after a few TDs.

Can I ask why not to mix full and semi syn?

Going from one to another will always leave some left behind.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
Been using Rosella T6 for years in both my street and track bikes.....no issues.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
Any oil with JASO-MA rating. Using it at the track or on the street is moot.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
JASO MA-2 is OK?
Absolutely. The manual calls for that spec. I know absolutely fuck-all about chemistry and the difference between the two, but the "MA" is an older standard. "MA-2" is different, but the manual says either.:cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
SPL170db
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing