Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in wanted for a set of yosh cams for a 98 FI model a while ago with no replies as yet , so what i want to know is: can a set of 98 600 cams go in ? i know the FI bikes have a position sensor is there a way to use the one from the stock 750 cams ? otherwise i am still looking for a set of yosh or web cams .
cheers

·
Registered
265 Posts
SRADSTEVE... I don't know the answer to your cam questions, but try a PM to GSX-RFREAK or JEFF.
They probably know.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
The 600 cams have smaller lift then the 750... That is why the 600 riders put the stock 750 cams in there bikes...

Not only that but there is no way to get the cam postion sensor into the 600 cams.

You are better off waiting for a set of yosh cams... Or buying some new ones...

You should be able to get some web cams for about 650 new.

John

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tnx , The web cams or Yosh would be great but new they are really expensive in our money . Over six grand before shipping .So if anyone with a set out there reads this and has a set please let me know . I have a ZZR 600 that i am busy selling so after that i want to put a 1k motor in. I prefer the the shape and riding position of the SRADS to the new gen bikes . Oh yes the post of can the new gen back ends be put on the SRADS : I am busy doing it and will post pics . The biggest hurdle is the two bottom tubes that mount to the frame are to long so i had to take about two inches out of it but the upside is that i coud position it exactly the way i wanted , much more tipped over the front wich i am definitly noticying on track days is that the buke is far easier to turn . the new gen seat is not so wide and flat wich also helps . Anyways enough rambling , to all in Gixxer land have a great 2003.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Hi Sradsteve

IF u from johannesburg why not try an get second hand ones from bike hospital or motorcycle magic...or even from dyno by quint... i am sure there have gotta be second hand cams lying around somewhere.

cheers

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am from Cape Town , yeah i will try , there were a set for a 600 on the WP motorcycle site so i thought i would try . I missed out on a set of Yosh cams for my bike on this site , they were $200, the 600 ones were R3000. Oh yes to others reading this , the exchange rate was about 8.66 to the dollar when i last checked so those 600 cams were nearly $350. Anyway , i will keep hunting.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Will keep an ear to the ground and if i hear of anything will let u know.I live in jhb so if you want me to check something out up here let me know.

cheers

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tnx man , if no set is found by the time i sell the 600 i am going for a 1k motor. Not easist thing to find either . Well then that would leave me with a 750 motor with a flowed head that runs great so maybe someone could use that . Anyway tnx .

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
No Problem... Buying a 1K motor is gonna be expensive though , i reckon u looking at about 35 or so for a good second hand one. Will ask at KCR in kempton park ,i know Alan the owner does import just the motor for a bike now an again.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I phoned a friend of mine up last night , he just got back from Japan buying up bikes . R17000 for a 1k with a front end smash , so i am gonna go for that route and sell whatever is left as well as my motor , electrics , etc. That should recoupe the outlay .
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Then i suspect KCR are making big margins in profit on second hand engines

mebbe one day when my motor calls it a day then thats the way to go then.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea , on Ebay or even in wanted motors with all the bits are under $2000 so where people pull over R30 000 out of if beyond me . If you look at the price of a gsxr in 2001 and now it has gone up more than 20 000 so we are in rip off country. If i need parts for a Honda i get them from Belgium, They are cheaper by a third and are here in 2 days as opposed to waite 4-6 weeks with crazy prices. Yamaha does not even know what is in there Durban inventry . I wacked the microfiche part numbers that i got from japan and low and behold they had stock in Durban but those part numbers were never supplied to the dealers . So i guess it is better to buy off the net and ship it. A friend of mine is going over to bike week so if anyone has cams or wants to send something to SA , give me a shout as he if going to have a lot more luggage than what he started off with.
Cheers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts