Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I tell whether I have 750 or 1100 fairings on? I know this sounds kinda stupid but the thing is, the previous owner had aftermarket lower fairings and they don't fit onto my mids. I know it has an 1100 front end on it but he doesn't know what the fairings are from. Could it be I have 1100 mid fairings and 750 lower fairings? (or vice versa) How would I tell?

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
i think the only difference (if any) between the 86-87 750 and 86-88 1100 fairings aside from paint scheme would be that they're a little wider on the 1100...

however, the 85 750 had different fairings than the 86-87 750's (and 86-88 1100's), with different hole locations....that might explain why you're having trouble...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The holes don't match up but also, the lowers I have seem to be a little longer. I need to figure this out cos I want to get fairings that match and paint the bike this winter.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
where is it longer? where they meet up with the midpanels? or down at the bottom?

the 85 lowers don't taper forward towards the front wheel at the front like the 86-87 fairings do, so they'll be longer at the bottom edge.

here's a picture from airtech:

the 85 is the one on the right.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way, I called Airtech about getting the race lower fairing and its $186 US but they want 119$ to ship to Toronto! Sometimes, I hate living north of the border.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Hey Listen,Reasonantfreaq., I ahve a set of custom painted 92 1100 plastic I can sell you(pics available) or if you want Air-tech, I live in the US and work for Fed-ex, order the air-tech, have it shipped to me, I will ship it to you for a few bucks
, or if you could find me a set of 40mm mikuni cv's from a Canadian GSXR1100, I would eat shipping if the carbs were at a good price
-Karl

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: KJ1 ]</p>

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by resonantfreq:
By the way, I called Airtech about getting the race lower fairing and its $186 US but they want 119$ to ship to Toronto! Sometimes, I hate living north of the border.
<hr></blockquote>

be sure to tell em you are from Gixxer.com

who did you talk to there, Max?

and yes have them shipped to a US address then have that person send it via another way

I just sent Joey my lowers, mid plastic, seat and solo cover, fairing stay and headlight ring and it cost me $63.00 Canadian! two boxes of shit from Vancouver to New York

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I talked to the receptionist at Airtech. She was new and she had to keep running back to the shop to ask questions. should I call back and ask for someone else?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Reasonantfreq, I will email you some pics or post them here and we can talk, they will fit with some fitting.
-Karl

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got it!! I have 86-88 uppers and mids! I don't have the 3 little vents on the top of the mids like the other'85s do. Hopefully, this means 86-88 lowers will fit. Or I can find some '85 mids and hope they fit the '86 upper.

KJ1, I still wouldn't mind taking a look at those '92 fairings.

·
Registered
72 Posts
All the US model 86-87 750 and 86-88 1100 bodywork is identical, including the tank. The only difference is the location of the one hole, on the mids, where it bolts to the head. Even then the panel is the same, it is just where Suzuki drilled the hole that is different. If you look on the back side of a stock panel, you will even see where Suzuki put the locating holes for both models. We did not get the GSXR 750 in 85, but I believe that this bodywork is totally different from any other year. Also, I believe that the mids for the European/Canadian models had the three vents, like the middle Airtech picture, and the US had the single rear-facing vent, like the left Airtech picture. All the rest of the panels are the same.

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: flyinphill ]</p>

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
If Airtech is a pain to deal with, call Beasley Fiberglass in Ohio. They have an 800 number I'll post when I get home.

I recall the parts being..

Upper...$119
Mids...$
Lower...$
RG/Ltd...solo cowl...$169

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Here you go...

'85-87 gixxer fiberglass body work from Beasley Fiberglass...1-800-745-5886 ( I spoke with Ben)

Upper...$109
Mids...$52 ea
one piece lower...$149
RG Ltd solo tail...$169

If you need a middleman for cheaper shipping let me know. I'm prolly going to get a pair of mids and an upper for a custom repaint to go with the new tank (if that ever gets here). I'm in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
461 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by flyinphill:
All the US model 86-87 750 and 86-88 1100 bodywork is identical, including the tank[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: flyinphill ]<hr></blockquote>

I don't knwo about the US
, but hte canadian 86 1100 tank is different from the other tanks. It is wider, and has more of a "hump" where you lean your chest.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts