Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I first read about this from a friend via FB. I wondered about the legitimacy of the article at first because it came from ABC news and they had a lot of misinformation in it, like the make and model of the truck was completely incorrect. They also said there were no survivors at all in the title but in the article they stated there were just minor injuries. Makes me wonder when I read articles when there is that much incorrect in them. I was able to find this version of the article through a quick search. My heart goes out to those families of the lost loved ones and to the injured. :( I wonder what was the cause that created this other than maybe an a**hole driver?

·
Super Moderator
14,981 Posts
That article came across my phone yesterday. It almost seems like the bikers never even saw the truck coming. Crazy!

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,402 Posts
Article I read this morning said he was going too fast, crossed the centerline, and over corrected and jackknifed into the group.

·
Super Moderator
14,981 Posts
Article I read this morning said he was going too fast, crossed the centerline, and over corrected and jackknifed into the group.

:eek That would actually make sense for how he managed to kill so many of them at once AND how the riders had little to no chance avoiding it.

As riders we try to learn from others and this is one of those accidents where I'd say no amount of experience would have made much difference if that's how it actually happened. :frown2:

I'm just imagining a trailer coming at me across the highway. I mean...what can you do in that instance? The chances of that actually happening again of course are slim but it's definitely something to scratch your head about. :dunno

Sidenote: I'm always leery about trailers especially when they're unloaded, single axle and driven well over the normal trailer speed limit. I'm leery because my dad, a former career truck driver, used to tell me countless stories about everyday people jackknifing those things on the highway. That said...you'd never expect one to completely fuck you from the opposite side of the road.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,402 Posts
When I'm on the street, I'm 50% focused on where I'm going, and 50% looking for safe places to go. Always looking for an out. One of the survivors was quoted in the article as having swerved into a grassy ditch as to have a soft place to crash. Looking at the maps, there weren't many options (but wow, nice road!). Sometimes, your number just comes up.

I guess it's the reality of riding a cycle. Anyone can armchair this one and how it could have gone differently, but it doesn't change the sad facts.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,653 Posts
The picture in the USA Today article seems to be here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.3589165,-71.361589,3a,75y,135.11h,66.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1speNxohNgpdOj9IWJriNMJw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
It sounds like most of them were staying at the Mount Jefferson View motel with maybe one staying at the Inn At Bowman. The road has gentle curves through there, nothing to cause a speeding vehicle to fail to hold the road on a curve. I'm thinking that the driver either fell asleep or was texting and not looking at the road. The description of collision with a pickup truck didn't make much sense until I saw the trailer. I'm betting that it did most of the damage.

·
17,009 Posts
DWI?
How'd they get to murder, gotta be premeditated for that??

Well....negligent homicide. /forums/images/smilies/hammer.gif And I'm not even sure how they got to that if it was in fact an accident.
Murder isn't negligent homicide. That's why I asked.

·
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
2,047 Posts
god damn...that blows...

ive had nightmares about this happening... poor guys...

·
Super Moderator
15,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
23 Posts
I first read about this from a friend via FB. I wondered about the legitimacy of the article at first because it came from ABC news and they had a lot of misinformation in it, like the make and model of the truck was completely incorrect. They also said there were no survivors at all in the title but in the article they stated there were just minor injuries. Makes me wonder when I read articles when there is that much incorrect in them. I was able to find this version of the article through a quick search. My heart goes out to those families of the lost loved ones and to the injured. :( I wonder what was the cause that created this other than maybe an a**hole driver?
I've ridden hwy 2 in NH many times. Its a beautiful bike road that starts in Burlington VT and runs to Bangor ME. 45mph, small town after small town, twists and turns. Lots of blind turns where this may have happened. My heart goes out to those involved in this. Couldn't imagine being faced with something like this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts