Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
'm looking to build a fast sleeper but can't afford the insane insurance an 1100 (even an 86) would cost me.

What is involved as far as swapping parts is concerned to mount an 1100 motor to either a katana frame or an older gix 750 frame?

What year Katana can it be hooked up to? What year gix 750?

How labor intensive is this and does the tuna nead aftermarket suspension/beefed up frame after this swap? I'm not looking for a corner carver, just nice raw ripping torque to build now for the spring.

BTW, what is the differences between gix 1100 motors?

And last but not least, how much can I expect to pay for a 1100/kat or 7-11 swap?

Thanks,

Ali

·
Registered
176 Posts
It's an easy job putting an 1100 into a Kat or early Gix frame. Really as simple as putting the motor in.

But with your post, you say "soon to race FZR400". Don't do it, unless you're made of money. It's a really expensive way to get into the hobby ... you're much better off with an SV640 (same racing class as the 400). Trust me, I have thrown $1000s at a collection of FZRs, and wish I had just bought a damn Honda 600 (read, turn key, then race ... with the FZRs it was always break it, fix it, practice, break it, fix it, race it (maybe). Want a large collection of ventilated FZR motors?

Speed kills, ride a Yamaha.

·
Registered
176 Posts
What about something a lil cheaper...say a (gulp) ex 500? or even (hahaha) a gs500. i just want one season under my belt before moving to something faster for the track.

THe 711 I just want for street and occaisional drag runs. I suppose I'll just need a high perf. clutch

Ali

Is the fizzer 4 really that bad? I hear a lot of good things about em as far as handling and balance. then again, my fzr 6 sucked as far as quirkiness goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts