Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to pick up a new bike, I originally wanted an 05 1000 since I borrowed my neighbors bike for a whole day but I have reconsidered...

I need something a little more tame and preferrably NEW AND within my price range... so the k5 is out of the question

I was reading some magazine articles and found that the new kawasucky Ninja 636 R is a great bike... a bit more power than a classic 600 sportbike with a better mid-range power band...

So, a gixxer 750 is a bit faster than a 636 so I am curious about what people think of these two bikes *05 models* AND what the going prices are for these from the dealer...

Can anyone give me some advice ?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Well, I just read the latest copy of CycleWorld (I know everyone thinks it a shitty magazine) and 10 out of 25 riders (give or take a few) had their hottest lap on the new 636. However, I think the 600 Kawa has all the good parts on it and with some mods would be pretty close to the 636 in power but with more trick parts.

If you had to decide I would get the 750 because I wouldn't wants bike that isn't really a 600 and not really a 750. I guess it's different and I really don't get why it's even made.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The two major questions that I can think of are:

Which bike is more comfortable to sit on?

How much does each bike cost to insure (if you are financing the bike you will either have to get full coverage or have to pay a crazy high APR to avoid getting it)?

Either of the two bikes you are considering are really nice and it just comes down to what you like/what you're going to use the bike for.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
street or track?

Street, i would go on whatever you feel most comforatable on and like the best. . your not going to use more than 60% of either bikes potential on the street anyway

·
Is Sexually Attracted To The Guys on GDC
21,546 Posts
you also have to look at insurance, you will pay a shit load more for a 750 than a 600 or 636

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just got a 750 a few months ago. And I must say, that I am mad at myself for waiting so long to get the 750, the perfect sportbike. Great for street and track. That is my opinion on a bike I have ridden more than a few times.

I have heard great things about the Kaws riding ergonomics are great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, thanks for the great info..

I wonder what people are paying for the gixxer 750 ?

and if anyone knows, how much are people paying for the 636 ?

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
I'd start by looking at the sticky threads in the 04/05 600/750 section. The Kawi is a hell of a bike and comes with some nice stuff. I just can't stand Kawi green. I still favor the gsx-r. I wound up getting the 600, mostly because of the cost. I love my 600, but the extra oomph of the 750 would be nice.

I did OK at Broward Motorsports, but I'm sure I could have possibly done better. ARS powersports up in Okechobee offers some great prices over the phone, you can look them up in cycle trader. I'm not sure about the new place out Sunrise Blvd. The sales guys at Powersports east of 95 on Sunrise came off as tools (worse than average) when I was looking at bikes, so I never went back there.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i'm glad i don't have to make that choice. it is a complete toss up. the zuke has got the umph, and aftermarket support, but the 636 is smoking hot, and i'm sure cheaper to insure. never ridden either, so i can't really help you out any :-(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am so damn torn...

I remember racing guys in gixxer 750s back when I had my busa and I would just smoke them all so easily...

I feel like if I went back to riding a small bike that I'll get stepped on so easily....

Unfortunately the wallet dictates the bike

lol

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Of course a bike with 450cc is going to "stomp" the lower machine. I hear tons of complaints handling wise about the 'busa not to mention the recalls. I have a '00 750 and would like to give a 636 a ride. There are tons of mods for the 750 too, don't know about the Kawi.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've owned both... had a 2003 636 a year ago... and currently own a 2000 750 .... I kept up and even beat alot of my friends with 750's.. they aren't that much faster than the 636 (depending on the rider) .. so for street you'll be happier with either's power... to me my 750 is ALOT more comfortable for riding ... the 636 would kill my wrists and arms and back after about 30 minutes of riding... EVERYTIME... but I still loved the bike to death... so much midrange power...

But I don't think I would trade my 750 in for it... so basically total toss up... sit on both and see what you think... but for me the 636 felt fine until i rode it for an extended amount of time... so if you can get ahold of them to test ride that would be best...

my insurance is almost identical for my two bikes.. my 750 is actually a bit cheaper (but it is also older)... and price.. the 636 is going to be cheaper retail...

636 retail = $8600 ( i think)
750 = $9700 ( i think)

that should be close.. you can get either of them for less than that out the door though

·
Registered
335 Posts
I own a 04 750 and have ridden an 05 636 (two days on the track). Both are great bikes and will be more than adequate on the street. The 750 has more top end, but it's really only accessible on the track. The 636 comes with a slipper clutch. I personally felt more comfortable on the Kawi, but everyone's different.
-Harp

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
The gixxer 750. Even though I have a 10R, I would get the Gixxer if I were going for a middle-class bike--absolutely.

-J

1 - 20 of 31 Posts