Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got done with my 6.5 grendel SPR build and am in need of a scope. This is my first long range rifle and I'm just looking to shoot long range as a hobby (no competitions or anything at this point).

IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0076.jpg

I was able to find this nikon monarch 8-32x50 w/ bdc reticle for just over $600 NIB. I'm really trying not to break the $700 barrier at this point. Does anyone have any feedback on this scope relevant to my application or another recommendation close to the same price point?

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
I may be biased but my family and I only buy leupold. Like anything in the firearms industry you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may be biased but my family and I only buy leupold. Like anything in the firearms industry you get what you pay for.
If I had the $ I'd do it in a heart beat. This is what I really want to get. http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/mark-4-lrt-riflescopes/mark-4-8-5-25x50mm-lrt-m1-illum-reticle/

The problem is that it's double my budget and being a relative newbie to long range shooting, I'm not exactly sure what I'd get over the nikon. As long as I can see the target with the nikon...and it holds a zero...I think I'll be happy. :dunno

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
If I had the $ I'd do it in a heart beat. This is what I really want to get. http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/mark-4-lrt-riflescopes/mark-4-8-5-25x50mm-lrt-m1-illum-reticle/

The problem is that it's double my budget and being a relative newbie to long range shooting, I'm not exactly sure what I'd get over the nikon. As long as I can see the target with the nikon...and it holds a zero...I think I'll be happy. :dunno
And you would be very happy i promise. Ive had a Nikon Monark on my 30-06 for a few deer seasons now and every season i go to sight in my rifles and this one NEVER needs adjusting. Ive even hit the same bullet hole on a target before :lol Not to mention the clarity of the optic and how much light it pulls in. I literally can look through this scope before dawn and see more clearly.Its a GREAT scope and i would buy it again! hope this helps :cheers

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And you would be very happy i promise. Ive had a Nikon Monark on my 30-06 for a few deer seasons now and every season i go to sight in my rifles and this one NEVER needs adjusting. Ive even hit the same bullet hole on a target before :lol Not to mention the clarity of the optic and how much light it pulls in. I literally can look through this scope before dawn and see more clearly.Its a GREAT scope and i would buy it again! hope this helps :cheers
Definitely...I appreciate the input. I'll most likely be picking it up sometime the beginning of next month. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Definitely...I appreciate the input. I'll most likely be picking it up sometime the beginning of next month. :thumbup
:cheers

how far are you going to start shooting? I refuse to deer hunt with a rifle now unless its over 200 yards :lol

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
:drool You build from scratch? Who made your upper and lower?

I have a Spike's lower I need to complete one of these days and I'm contemplating a rig like that.
Yeah, I'm too cheap to buy a built one. :D Plus I like the idea of getting exactly what I want and I just get a couple parts here and there when I get $. None of it is terribly fancy...mostly just purpose built.

Upper: DPMS Lo-Pro slick side

Lower: Essential Arms (it was laying around from bunch I had ordered)

Barrel: Alexander Arms 24" (includes 6.5 grendel bolt)

Handguards: Alexander Arms XL Composite Free Float

Trigger: Alexander Arms single stage tactical trigger

Lower Parts Kit: DPMS

Gas Block: JP Enterprises adjustable gas block

Stock: magpul prs

Bolt Carrier: Smith Enterprises Chrome

Muzzle Brake: Primary Weapons Systems FSC

The one thing I'd change if I could do it all over....is to get a reciprocating side charging handle as I don't have forward assist on my slick side upper. You just gotta be sure and keep your hands away from it during firing...like with an ak-47. I could have someone mill the upper, but it would kinda be a pita to do it now.

side_charging_handle_set_up__1.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts