Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to adjust my valves and my Clymer says I have to replace the O-rings for the oil hoses going into the valve cover everytime I take them off. They want $4.62 each for them. does this sound a little expensive. I ordered them anyway but does anyone know if I really have to replace these everytime?

Also, can I reuse the valve cover gasket?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Those gaskets and o rings are quite durable. I have reused them many times with no leaks. You should be fine reusing them.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
worst case senario they start leaking, and then you replace them. I believe you can find non-Suzuki o-rings that will work and be cheaper.

I had to change the o-ring going to my oil cooler and the guy at the radiator shop hooked me up with another type that I haven't had a problem with yet.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I too have reused both the o-rings and valve cover gasket many times...aren't dealers great?? they do love our money, I just paid $15.00 for a genuine suzuki oil filter...yikes!

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I have had my cover off four times this year. I have had no leaks. At least not from the valve cover

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I guess I should have asked you guys before I ordered them. Oh well, at least I don't have to wait till Thurs to adjust my valve clearances.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
yep - reuse them as much as you can.....also, the oil seals on the valve cover underneath the valve cover bolt heads are supposed to be replaced fairly often, too, but i just replace them when they start leaking.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by resonantfreq:
I'm about to adjust my valves and my Clymer says I have to replace the O-rings for the oil hoses going into the valve cover everytime I take them off. They want $4.62 each for them. does this sound a little expensive. I ordered them anyway but does anyone know if I really have to replace these everytime?
<hr></blockquote>

OH MY GAWD!!! Don't tell anyone but if you go to your local hardware store and head over to the plumbing area...mine for instance has a 6'x6' wall of little bins with O rings of every conceivable size and thickness...and I don't think I saw any priced over $1.00 each. That's where I've been getting my O rings for my lines.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Reuse them over and over and over!

When they do start leaking, go to a good automotive parts store and just find some that are the same size.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts