Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here goes. just took a pic with a tyre in place and damn that looks better than the old 160/60 the 180/55 looks like a real tyre.

Now here's the deal, Bevan and Fastcat told me that theres a difference in size of the sprocket carrier and I measured and.......yes around 5mm wider on the later model.
The new 5.5" had been on possibly on a slabsider by the looks of the wheel adjusters that were with it.

anyway the wheel isn't black anymore, that Nitromors paint remover is good stuff, second coat tomorrow (if I'm brave enough) Gee when that stuff hits you in the eye it stings like hell........now how many hundred times has that happened to me? Doh.............

The carrier had a specer around 2mm thick on it too.

So where do I go from here?

Thanks
Andy,

[ 12-20-2002, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Andy James ]

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
The way I did mine Andy was to just bolt-in the 5.5" hardware/spacers and it worked out once I got the proper sprocket-carrier. On my 6" where I had no starting-point, I put the sprocket-carrier on the axle with bearing installed, and just played with spacing on the outside of the thing til the chain would hit dead-center and not "walk" to either side when I rolled the carrier. I made the rest of the thing fit based on the location of the sprocket... I ended up moving the sprocket-face 5mm closer-in to the wheel center so that I could maintain all my clearances and center the wheel in relation to the frame. You shouldn't have to go through all of that, but I would suggest that you double-check the chain-alignment on the sprocket doubly close... it will chew up chains and sprockets in a hurry if it's off.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that's a good idea to put the carrier on the spinlde and turn the chain to see how it lines itself up. Excellent i'l try and do that, still not so easy to turn the chain though
, maybe I'll try a laser pen along the lengh to get the straight line perhaps.

Andy

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
i did that to my old '89 (my first gixxer) and the only problem i ran into was the brake stabilizer arm was too close for comfort to the tire. i ended up machining off a small part of the caliper and adding a spacer to the other side of the caliper to move the arm 5mm further away. since then i have had no problems. good luck.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, mines already bent out of shape to work it's way around the braced arm. I'll bear that in mind though. The wheel's nearly polished up now.......yipee.

Thinking about the sprocket, as my carrier slots straight in I'll just put that in as it was before, then I know that it's lined up and spoce on the brake side, if I need to at all

Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts