Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to buy some 40mm flatslides for $400($200us)should I buy them,I plan on keeping the bike and giving it engine mods later.
has anyone here used them on there 1100?.
what are they like for low down use like xcellerating out of corners?
my bike is a 921100.
I only really use my bike for weekend rides and a few long rides.

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
that's a very good deal, if they're in good condition. you may not notice that much of a difference just bolting them on now (i'm guessing that it should net you at least 5hp), but once you get into the motor and start doing more serious mods, you'll kick yourself in the head later for passing them by.

smoothbores can be tuned to give you almost as good driveability as the stock cv's, but it can be tricky. if you whack the throttle wide open at lower revs in a high gear on a smoothbore, intake velocity nosedives and the motor'll bog a bit - there's nothing you can do about that, that characteristic is inherent in their design. the accelerator pumps help a bit, but still can't totally make up for the loss in velocity. whereas the stock cv's don't have this problem.

but on the other hand, they can flow more at higher rpm's, and throttle response will be unreal.

unless you're strapped for cash and/or don't like to tinker with carbs, i wouldn't pass them up if i were you.

------------------

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks jeff,I will get them,I have talked to a couple of other people since I posted this and said the same as you,that I will be kicking myself later if I dont get them.
the guy I am buying them off can set them up on his dyno,we were going to put a dynojet kit in my original carbs but I think the flatslides will be better in the long run.

------------------

[This message has been edited by kiwi (edited 03-23-2001).]

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
if he's offering to set them up for you on his dyno, even sweeter!

you may lose a bit of driveability, but since you didn't mention anything about commuting on the bike, it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

------------------

·
Registered
434 Posts
sudco in california has a tuning manual for Mikuni which Iam assuming these are it has tons of info on tuning and what jets needles emulsion tubes etc are avail. Doug

------------------
86 totally non stock

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jeff,yeah I dont do much commuting on it.

doug,have they got a wesite?or do know if there is a website with any information like that?

------------------

·
Registered
434 Posts
don't think they have a web site but I haven't gone looking I will try and get you a phone # and post it. Also on my 86 750 when setting the carbs with vacuum gauges with the stock airbox and also later when I put individual KNs on, the bike would only run well with the inside two cylinders pulling 2" LESS vacuum than the outside 2 cyl,ran like shit with the cyl set even all the way across.

------------------
86 totally non stock

1 - 10 of 10 Posts