Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I installed a set of 36 mikunis- which work great. One part I am missing however is the choke cable. The connection to the choke appears to be a cable connection, so my question is: did the bikes that came stock with 36's have a choke "cable" and where did the plunger for it mount? Did the plunger sit down by the carbs like the one on my 29's or did it go elsewhere like the dash? If you could tell me which years had the cable that would fit these carbs then I can order the cable-plunger assembly. I've also though about just buying a generic cable plaunger from Pepboys and routing it up to my dash area.

While I'm on the topic of cables- my bike is set-up with the stock throttle cable assembly with a single cable. What would you all recommend as an upgrade and where would I find it? Lockhart has push-pull type throttles which won't fit my carbs.

------------------

Youth and talent are no match for age and treachery!

[This message has been edited by Talisian (edited 03-22-2001).]

·
Registered
301 Posts
the choke cable on the later models mounts on the switch block next to the clutch master cylinder on the left hand bar.

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
it depends on what year bike and which bike those carbs came off of. as kiwi mentioned, the cable could have ran to the left handlebar, but i've seen them with just a pull knob on the choke assembly on the carbs themselves.

i wouldn't worry about it too much, though. as the choke is needed only for starting, and the carbs are easily accessible, it wouldn't be a problem to just manually open the choke while starting. that's what i used to do. after it starts and could handle a bit of throttle without choke and without stalling, i'd warm it up with the throttle (i had a throttle lock which helped). the choke should only be kept open as minimally as possible - otherwise you'll just end up fouling the plugs quicker.

as for the throttle cable, keep it the way it is. the throttles on those carbs (at least, the ones i had) were meant for a single cable throttle twistgrip assembly.

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have a '91 750M with 36mm carbs (CA model). It doesn't have a cable for the choke, only a plunger sticking out the side of the carb with three settings.

------------------

1 - 4 of 4 Posts