Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
No but I know a couple other RS owners who do ice racing back east. I’m here in BC (just outside vancouver).

So for today, I had some spare time so I pulled the wheels off again. Removed the front/rear calipers and the brake lines and got the front shocks out. Everything came out really smooth. One bolt gave me trouble (rear caliper banjo bolt) because it has been ground down at some point a bit from a slide. Also I don’t think there rears have ever had a fluid swap. the sludge that came out was nasty and smelled vile.

such is the reason why I’m going over this whole bike.

didnt feel like trying to get my rear shock out today, so instead I tackled the headers. Before I left to the parts store I hit the bolts with some pb blaster and hit them a few more times while working on the brakes. All 8 bolts cracked loose beautifully and once loosened, could be undone with fingers. Was truly not expecting that.

mum surprised how much smaller they were compared to the factory 1000 headers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Also I assume these forks have never been serviced. IIRC showa forks use something like a 5w oil. But when I removed them it sure sounded like plain old water on the inside. I don’t remember forks flowing this much oil around when you move it lol. Maybe it’s normal? I have no idea

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Tore down yet another set of calipers today. Ended up buying a parts cleaner and going to town on All 6. They cleaned up real nice with some elbow grease. One set will be put back together and sold, another set will be stripped and powdercoated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I screwed up a little today, but hopefully I can recover. I always loved the subaru STi fluorescent brembo calipers so I decided to prep and paint one of my spare set of calipers just for fun. After a few coats they came out amazing.

beautifully glossy and wet looking, exactly what I wanted. I told my wife and buddy I didn’t want to clear coat them just in case I fucked it up somehow. But I know how bad brake dust can be so the added protection of clear is important.

well I fucked it up. I had the two cans sitting next to each other and I accidentally grabbed the paint, not the clear. At first I thought “aww fuck that sent me back a day or two” since they have to dry. But within 5 minutes the paint started to wrinkle and almost crack. I’ll let them dry for a few days and figure out what to do about em.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So after that eff up I moved on to other stuff. Decided to install the rearsets.

I loctite’d everything that no longer needs to be removed for adjustment. I set them at the closest to oem that I could. Once the bike is up and running everything else will be set and loctite’d. I also put on the rear brake line, but it will have to be adjusted since the master cylinder has been relocated a few inches

shifter side was significantly easier, took probably 1/4 as long. I left it in conventional shifting pattern, will try out my friends r6 track bike first to see if I prefer this or GP shifting. I also forgot just how bent my stock rearset was.

I also put on the levers. Brake went on just fine. The clutch lever was finicky. It’s was extremely wobbly and loose, but after some investigation I realized the mount for the lever was tweaked. I was able to bend it back and the levers were an easy install.

was going to split the levers and loctite them but the nuts on the back were a big mystery. 8mm socket too big and 7mm too small, so I figured it was imperial. But 5/16 too big and 9/32 too small. So ?????.

the clutch lever is extremely heavy to pull especially compared to the k6 im riding. Going to have to figure out a solution.

I also treated myself

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Drained the old oil and let it drip overnight. Dirty yes, but has been run on full synthetic for many years. Didn’t see any moisture or water in the oil. No chunkies and the magnet on the plug was almost clean. New OEM filter as well.

installed the Öhlins steering damper. Also drained the coolant. It looked brand new but I know it’s really old. Ordered new silicone hoses but that will be a while to come in

installed the Sato titanium headers and midpipe. Stunning piece and went together really easy. I didn’t realize how dirty that side of the engine case was. After install I covered the pipes with plastic sheet and sprayed/scrubbed the engine.

removed the rear stand, put it on the pegs and got the shock out. Surprisingly easy to remove. So far the bike hasn’t been fighting me at all so that’s good.

haven’t decided yet what I’m doing about suspension. Just rebuilding or upgrading ¯\(ツ)

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Maybe the amount of metal swarf on the magnetic sump plug is within a commonly accepted amount, but unless it is the perspective of your picture, I'd say that I've never seen so much on any of mine. Even my current K5 with over 80,000 kms doesn't have that much at oil change time.

Might just be that yours had gone a long while without a change though.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,680 Posts
I have the same oil pan. Did you not remove the plug???? As far as the shock, if you can get a used aftermarket cheap, do it. Otherwise ship it to Velocity Calibrations. Eric can hook you up with some aftermarket valving. Even if you don't put aftermarket valving in it, just having it serviced would be good. But, unless you're going to track it, I wouldn't spend the money on aftermarket stuff.

Also, I noticed your stator cover is rashed up a bit. I've got one on ebay. Took it off and replaced it with a Woodcraft when I went track only.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
'd say that I've never seen so much on any of mine. Even my current K5 with over 80,000 kms doesn't have that much at oil change time.
i think youre confused. it has been in storage for years, but there was literally 4 specs of any sort of metal on that plug. the rest was oil just sitting on the plug.

I have the same oil pan. Did you not remove the plug????
i had to think about this post for a while ? i thought you meant the oil pan, like yea... i removed the drain plug how else am i draining it! but yes the oil drain pan. just picked it up, works awesome! and yes i took the plug out before use. im a heavier rider right now (fattest ive ever been at 220) so i know the suspension wont be set up for my weight. theres a local shop who builds suspension, going to inquire with them about what the best route would be.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i think youre confused. it has been in storage for years, but there was literally 4 specs of any sort of metal on that plug. the rest was oil just sitting on the plug.
I guess that its just because I'm seeing the photo at double real size (computer with 17 inch screen) which makes the swarf look bigger. When I change my oil, I can hardly see any swarf on the magnet, its only when I i wipe it with a clean paper towel that I can see specks of swarf on the towel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
No parts for the k5 so decided to do a little wrenching on the k6.

did an oil change. OEM Suzuki filter and Motul 7100 oil. I know it had 7100 at its last oil change but the colour looks off. Almost as if someone topped it up with conventional oil

never going to have a passenger on this bike so deleted the rear pegs. Once I looked underneath I was appalled. 3 of the 4 bolts were different and the wrong size (yes they were tight) so I fixed that

Popped the seat off and found some missing clips so I replaced those. Also decided to pull the air filter to check it and oh my god it’s the filthiest air filter I’ve ever seen. Ordering a new one of that obviously

washed the bike and did a quick bolt tightness check. Chain still is good but showing a little surface rust so a chain and sprocket kit should be ordered at some point. Headlight is burned out too but the high beam is still functioning

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
no real update, been busy working on the k6, my RS and waiting for parts.

my rad hoses and two muffler options showed up, and my fairings got to my PO Box but need to be shipped again up to me

then on my last delivery I had the tracking number for around June 5th, but the stork decided to swing by May 1st at 11:07am.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Congrats on the bundle! I'm also around Vancouver and have a K4 (750, with the way ICBC classes work I'm surprised there's any 600's here!), did you have any issues with the later header and clearance on the bodywork, or have you not gotten there yet given the total lack of free time?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts