Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys! This is going to be my ‘build thread’ for my 2005 gsxr 600.

Just to keep things interesting let’s start from the beginning.

many years ago I got my first two wheels.An absolute beast of a vehicle, the Honda ruckus. Great for riding around in the summer and generally just having fun. Did all the bolt ons and stretched it. Enjoyed our time together but ended up selling it at the height of their popularity. So I didn’t do too bad at all ?

of course after that a bit of time went by and got myself some real motorcycles.

picked up a stock ‘79 Kawasaki kh100el that I immediately ruined

My wife has her ‘86 gsxr 400. I absolutely love the bike but it always seems to have little problems (rear shock blown, front fork keeps leaking etc) and since it’s a jdm import, parts are super frustrating to get so it mostly just sits there

she also has an ‘06 gsxr 600. I absolutely love this bike. I ride it more than her, especially since shes now pregnant with our first. Bike is a massive jump up from my ‘05 in almost every way.

and that brings me to my gsxr 600. I’ll put that in the next post

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I bought my k5 gsxr 600 many years ago, and was my first big boy bike. Got a great deal on it and from what I can remember was almost stock other than fender eliminator I did not care for the colour scheme (black and silver) but for the price it was worth it. Having difficulty finding an old photo so here’s a google pic

Seems like I can’t find a lot of my older photos. A few years ago I had a very low speed slide in a winter rainstorm (fresh oil from accident scene). So I sprayed the bike to cover the scratches and I liked this look for quite a while. I shortened the stock muffler which did well, until my buddy gave me a danmoto exhaust which I also shortened again

the bike was fine at this point. A little bit of battle damage on the stator cover but otherwise looked and rode good. In comes my friend.

he’s had a tonne of bikes, does track etc. His brother was starting to get into bikes and had a little ninja 300. He was not a good rider, it just wasn’t for him. But he really enjoyed it and wanted to buy a 600. We all kept saying no, but he was quite keen. As I had the worst bike in the group I lent it to him for a while. He did fine but admitted it was too big. He didn’t crash it!

but I mean. He did drop it in the driveway.

now the other side of the bike was scratched. Bent the sliders, bar ends, rear sets etc. At this point I said “fuuuuuuuuck it!!” And started to tear it down to replace and upgrade parts. And then life happens.

I’m an avid car enthusiast and spend most my money on project cars and such like my focus RS. Before I knew it this bike has sat here on stands with no wheels or tires for at least 2 years.

my wife is pregnant and then we found out we’re moving. So the clock started ticking on getting this thing ready to roll. So I started ordering parts.

first thing was refinishing the wheels. Had them sand blasted and painted white. Got 90° valve stems put in and mounted up new Michelin Pilot powers

ordered new front and rear brake rotors and got the bike off the stands in the first time in for ever!

just before the borders closed a bunch of my parts have started rolling in. Braided brake lines, levers, rear sets, solo seat cowl.

more to come but that’s enough for this post before the page crashes

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So as seen above the first thing I ordered was the rotors. I used to have an issue with the OEM front rotor bushings as they kept getting stuck. Even after Penetrant and the old C clamp trick to loosen them up, it would always come back. Gave a real bad pulsing through the bars and it wasn’t safe. So new rotors it was!

I also ordered a new full fairing set. I went the typical eBay route, buying the lucky strike plastics with tank cover. Always loved the look so figured I might as well go for it. Of course right as I bought them the whole covid thing broke out, so it’s going to be a few months until I get them.

I have a fairly long list of parts to order while everything is apart. I am kind of doubting it will even be done by the end of summer.

• front/rear caliper rebuild kits
  • brake pads
  • mirrors (mine fold down at speed)
  • change all fluids
  • send front/rear shocks in for service
  • chain and sprockets
  • fuel lines and radiator hoses
  • spark plugs
  • air filter
for my exhaust I’ve had the titanium 1000 headers for a few years in storage waiting to get installed. Figured I’d drag them out and clean them up. They were looking a little worse for wear

although now it’s cleaned up ready for sale. I had a beautiful package fall in my lap from the local craigslist....

full Sato racing exhaust, brand new in box. Carbon muffler with titanium headers and midpipe. The Japanese newspaper it was packed with says 2003. I won’t even say how much I paid for it, but it was a steal. I guess I’ll need a power commander too.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,676 Posts
That fork needs some love! Rust on the slider and the dust wiper is all cracked. I'd be putting some attention on anything rubber at this point.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That fork needs some love! Rust on the slider and the dust wiper is all cracked. I'd be putting some attention on anything rubber at this point.
they sure do! That’s why sending the shocks in is on my list posted above. Regardless of the dry seals or the spot rust on the stanchions, I guarantee they’ve never been serviced in the 22k km. I’ll just have to decide exactly how far I want to take the bike. OEM rebuild or fall into the bottomless pit of “while I’m in there”.

im sure OEM would be fine, but while they’re apart it might be the right time for new internals.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Great to see a build with some pics. I like the white wheels way better than the yellow! Be careful with those levers if they are cheap ebay stuff! Other than that great job man!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The wife and I moved Saturday. One of the most stressful things you can do but it all went smoothly. Moved 2 bikes in the uhaul and got the other two moved with a friends taco

once that was all done I decided that I’m not going to rush rebuilding my k5, I’ll do it slow and do it right. So I threw insurance on my wife’s k6 and that will be my steed for the summer. I don’t know how you people ride modern 1000’s with damn near 200hp. This 600 is more than enough and already feels face melting fast ¯\(ツ)

So I moved the k5 into the garage and got it’s spot ready. Just fooling around with it I couldn’t seem to shift it out of neutral. I’m not worried about that stuff yet though

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I picked up a full spare set of calipers for my bike. Have had them for quite a while so I figured it start tearing them down.

other than a bit of dirt, they’re in fairly good condition. I have a few questions though.

both front and rear calipers are a 2 piece design (4 piston front, 2 piston rear). The rear caliper had a rubber o-ring on the fluid passage between both sides, as seen circled in red (I removed the o ring but this is where it was located)

when I split both front calipers, neither of them had a rubber o-ring in the same spot. Is there suppose to be an o-ring? Or is it only on the rear and not the front.

So at this point I have split all 3 calipers and bagged the parts. Haven’t popped the pistons out yet. But I noticed something. Between the front calipers, they had different brake pads. The front left had “bike master” and the right has OEM tokico pads. So as i stared at them... THEY HAVE DIFFERENT PISTONS COMPLETELY

So this is where I need your guys opinion. Now I will be having to do a full caliper rebuild including new pistons. The cost will really start adding up.

• strip and powdercoat $200
  • front rebuild kit $300
  • front brake pads $100
  • rear rebuild kit $50
  • rear pads $50
so at this point rough numbers (cad) $700 just to get a fresh rebuilt set of OEM calipers. But at that price bracket I could get a brand new set of Brembo m4 monoblocks with pads for only slightly more. Then I could sell both sets of calipers I have (ones on bike and the spares) and recoupe some cost.

thoughts? Yes the brembo are not necessary and way above my riding skill, I’m not arguing that. But I kind of think of the whole “do it once do it right” mentality

·
13,676 Posts
The thinner pistons are aftermarket. I'd buy one set of OEM pistons, two sets of seals, and the missing o-rings. Rebuild and call it good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was going to take it out and pressure wash all the cobwebs off, but got distracted with lawn work. First big cut of the year always takes hours.

for pressure washing, can it be done safely on the bike without ruining anything? Currently it has no fairings or battery. Suppose to be a beautiful day tomorrow. If I pull the ECU out, do a light pressure washing and let it dry fully, is that somewhat safe to do?

also after I put the lawn mower away I decided to pop the air filter out to see what it had in from the previous owner. It wasn’t terribly dirty, but I noticed oil on the backside of the filter.

I started looking a bit deeper, and I could see a tonne of oil pooled up on the side in the air box

I am aware that the PCV system is connects the crankcase to the air box to circulate any crankcase pressure that would most likely have atomized oil in it, but this much looking oil is not common.

IIRC bike never burned oil. When my friends brother dropped it in the driveway years ago I was not there to witness it. If it stayed laying down for a few minutes, could oil travel through the PCV system all the way to the airbox? After that incident I didn’t ride it, just went into storage and got stripped down.

thoughts?

·
13,676 Posts
There's an inspection bulb on the back left corner of the airbox to capture oil. How much is in it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@TheGeek i took a look, the inspection bulb is under the pool of oil shown in my previous photo. So to answer your question.... it’s full.

Decided against the pressure washer. I just used my handheld foam cannon and a phat soft paintbrush to get into all the nooks and crannies. From 10 feet it didn’t look too dirty, but lots of cobwebs and dirt from years of storage

foamed it, rinsed it, let it dry in the sun etc and she’s looking great! Only issue is spider poop. The shit is so bad. Most places the white dots are can be hidden by fairings. Unfortunately some areas like the top of the triple clamp will have to be addressed somehow.

·
13,676 Posts
Drain the bulb, wipe out the airbox and check it again after 1000 miles.

And do yourself a favor and put dielectric grease on every plug (especially fuel pump) that was exposed when you washed it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And do yourself a favor and put dielectric grease on every plug (especially fuel pump) that was exposed when you washed it.
Already got a new tube ready to go :p

Also, this may sound odd to bring up, but I am mechanically inclined. just historically I’ve spent way more time modding my card then I ever have my motorcycles.

my current daily is my focus RS. It’s gone through many iterations. Right now it’s lifted on WRC suspension etc for lots of off road fun. I plan to go back to track mode but still have a few carbon parts on order (indefinitely now with the whole covid situation)

Attachments

·
That’s Mister Moderator Chalet To You ....
7,855 Posts
Something about your username rang a distant bell until I saw your car. You're here in Frenchieland too?

Actually, that's no Quebec plate. I thought icar was up around Mirabel.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts