Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i searched and didn't find anything past 2010...so i did not want to revive a really old thread and this is just for sake of conversation

just like my title says... i did an oil change with 300v and a little over 1k miles the oil is pretty dark...

your thoughts?

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
You make this comment as if you are comparing it to another oil that had different results. Is this the case?

I changed after two track days and it was also blackened up nicely. What are you concerned about? Did you expect it to come out looking fresh?

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,843 Posts
Stop right now, Google how oil works and common oil myths. Do your research, because it will help avoid bad questions like this.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
It is normal, don't worry.

·
3,843 Posts
But.... But.... He SAID he searched. Are you saying he lied? :shifty
Couldn't be, people don't lie.
Since it is summer, make sure to dump half of your oil and fill it with coolant to keep your engine temperatures down. And next oil change, add a 1:2 mixture of oil:coolant.

That's a test of your search skills, too. Please come back when you find out if my statement is valid or not.

·
3,843 Posts
Oh Jesus, next we're going to have an oil discussion. Or more dumb questions about oil.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
I think @oldgixxer runs 300v in his street bikes. Not a big deal really @tatersalad314. Oil is the lifeblood of your motor, so spending a little extra money for better oil is always a good investment, unlike running 93 octane in a stock-motor 600.

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
I think @oldgixxer runs 300v in his street bikes. Not a big deal really @tatersalad314. Oil is the lifeblood of your motor, so spending a little extra money for better oil is always a good investment, unlike running 93 octane in a stock-motor 600.
I was led to believe that it was a poor oil to run on the street, so to hear someone doing that is news to me. Just curious, thanks :cheers

·
Super Moderator
15,111 Posts
I was led to believe that it was a poor oil to run on the street, so to hear someone doing that is news to me. Just curious, thanks :cheers
Not an oil expert but I can't imagine 300v not lubricating as well or having any ill effects for using it on a bike that only sees the street.

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
Not an oil expert but I can't imagine 300v not lubricating as well or having any ill effects for using it on a bike that only sees the street.
Nor am I, but I agree. It had something to do with different additives IIRC... It doesn't matter really. It's hard to go wrong with most oils these days, especially the full synthetics.

·
Banned
3,858 Posts
Nor am I, but I agree. It had something to do with different additives IIRC... It doesn't matter really. It's hard to go wrong with most oils these days, especially the full synthetics.
What you may be thinking about tatersalad314 are engine oils designed for racing that have low detergent levels.

Without looking at the specs IIRC 300V is slightly lower than 5100 in that regard. However, it's nothing like as low as Valvoline VR1 racing oils and it's certainly within the range of normal motor oils.

Again, another caveat. There are two types of VR1. A real race oil that has really low detergent levels and a normal VR1. The normal VR1 in the 20W50 is a mineral oil (as opposed to synthetic, as are the VR1 race oils) and it beats the pants off of any synthetic on the market. There are Harley users that have oil tested everything in the labs and the VR1 20W50 kicks ass compared to everything other high end oil they have tried.

I can't remember the advantage of running low detergents in race oils. Don't confuse those with anti-foaming and aerating additives.

In any case, 300V whilst good for racing can also be used on the street for long service intervals as it has normal detergent levels.

There are two basic parts to an engine oil. The oil base stock and the additive pack. The later one comprises many parts, from viscosity index improvers, to anti-wear, anti-friction, anti-corrosion, anti-foaming, anti-aerating, dispersant and detergent additives.

Personally I'm using mixed fleet engine oil like Caltex/Chevron Delo 400 15W40 or the Mobil equivalent typically used in diesel engined trucks, but also suitable for mixed fleet operation, i.e. gasoline and LPG vehicles.

bobistheoilguy.com is a great resource for learning all about oils and oil testing results. I just provided you with some basics.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Personally I'm using mixed fleet engine oil like Caltex/Chevron Delo 400 15W40 or the Mobil equivalent typically used in diesel engined trucks, but also suitable for mixed fleet operation, i.e. gasoline and LPG vehicles.
I started using Delvac MX 15W-40 after engine rebuild. Before I used 300V.
300V 50-60e 4L and Delvac 70e 20L :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
13 Participants
Knubbler
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing