Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So finally, 2 months after I did my first race weekend the planets finally lined themselves up so that I can race again. I had intended to do the Vic/B&C round two weeks ago but some family/business stuff had my head so screwed up that when I went to the practice day I was so far off the pace my lap timer wouldn't even register my laps!

I'd missed round 2 of the Hartwell champs as it was in SA and I couldn't justify driving 7 hours to race at a track that is by a lot of accounts a bit dangerous. Plus given I get up at 4.45am for work I wasn't too keen on race all weekend, drive 7 hours home, get a few hours sleep and start work for the week.

So round 3 at Broadford. With work commitments I was unable to do the practice day on the Friday. Turn up on saturday and a guy I know tells me "We have a dilemma". What he meant to tell me is that he's parked his bike, his mate's bike and some other dude's bike in my spot in the pits. Luckily I had booked two spots for myself and another guy so we shared and they gave me the money for the spot - but the fucking cheek of these guys...Pit bay spots are like hen's teeth at Broadford and they are lucky I'm so generous especially considering that I am behind both of these guys on points an could have ruined their weekend by kicking them out of the pits.

First practice and we get about 9 laps. I manage to go so slowly that I am tempted to chuck it in straight away. I am doing 1.13s and can't seem to get comfortable on the bike or run into the corners hard. The track is so different to PI that I'm struggling to get my head around it.

Second practice and I'm down to 10s. Things are starting to look better although because of my slow times I am relegated to a back row start. I get a stern talking to by some of the ASBS guys there and sort out some brake markers, lines and reference points to get on the gas better.

1st race and I get an ok start but get caned by guys I was slamming last time at PI. Doesn't help that a lot of the guys are running slicks, but to be honest, they were just plain faster and I don't think the tires had much to do with it. I run 10s again and can't seem to get a good feel for the front. This is slowing me down heaps through the long looping right then left onto the straight which is making me so slow down the straight I'm getting eaten up into T1.

Race 2 and i drop the forks 2mm. I start to get a better feel for the front and am running into the corners faster and deeper. I run 8.5s and am happy with the progress. Still can't seem to shake some of the guys I should be beating and get passed by a ZX6 into the 2nd last corner and lose a spot on the last lap.

Sunday comes. I drop the forks another 2mm for practice and run easy 8s in practice in the morning and get a bit more confidence for the races. Rear preload goes out half a turn to give me more oversag and the bike seems to be holding a line better, can run into corners faster and hooks up well even when I use the throttle like a light switch to see if it'll step out. It squirms around under brakes, but that's a fair trade for the better speed into corners.

Race 1 and I do 8s again.

Race 2 - 9 laps for points. Best time of flat 7s although I get held up about midway through and do an 11 which combined with my tiredness (9 laps is forever) allows that same zx6 to nail me with a corner to go on the last lap and I finish 10th (I think) out of 14 guys. Pretty sad after coming 13th out of 40 at PI. All is not lost though I have dropped my times. I also have realised that riding 9 laps around Broadford flat out is bloody hard work and I need to work on a few things to sort that out for other tracks like Winton.

Last race and I manage to stuff a guy on the last lap who had been beating me all weekend. Nailed him into the last corner. Sadly, he seems to lack the same humility that I tried to display all weekend by happily admitting that I was beaten fair and square by guys by saying to me that "You got me on horsepower, while I was trying some new lines". Uh huh. Would that be I got you on horsepower while you were entering a corner? Well known spot for a bike with more horsepower to overtake that. And would those new lines include almost running off with half a lap to go enabling me to close on you? And would those new lins and taking it easy include you running the same times you had all weekend? Uh huh.

Anyway, good time was had. I feel like I've improved again and can't wait to race there again to try and improve again.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Nice work, dude. Sounds like you had a hard time getting into the zone for a bit. I hate it when that happens!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
SOunds like your doing a lot more than most of us wannabe's - good luck ole mate - give us your race numbers so we can support ya and give ya the shits at some race meet's ?

Cheers Si.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At the moment I am doing just the hartwell rounds and I'm in the novice over 500 class. Sometims they split it into a novice 600 race though. In either case i am no.5 - an oange and black cbr6rr. There's some B&C meetings coming up that I would like to get and they're all at broadford so I guess it means I'll get more practice time in LOL.

I had planned to do Stars on May 14/15, but apparently its my gf's bday and I think it might piss her off lsightly if I nick off for the weekend to go race. Go figure...Having said that we're on the verge of breaking up so maybe I should go race rather than miss it and still end up breaking up with her?

·
Registered
888 Posts
seems like you got alot going on off the track, iam sure that is hurting focus on the track. You should race with less on your mind, i bet you would run so much better! and dont stop yourlife for someone else....do what you want and what will make you happy in the end. Cause i bet she would do it!! in a heart beat!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts