Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
First time posting but I've been following this site for awhile now. Looking for your advice.
Got me a 93 GSXR750W, 28k on odometer, water/oil cooled, for free that was sitting for a few years and thought it would be a fun project bike. The plastics are a bit rough (was dropped) but they are all there and cleaned up reasonably good. Rebuilt the carbs and did a basic tuneup, straightened all the bent/broken bits, new battery and it is now running pretty good. Took it for a little run around the block and found out it has the dreaded 2nd slipping out of gear when under power issue. The bike still needs fork seals, brakes, tires and a windscreen before it can be road worthy. Have not yet checked the wheel and steering bearings.

Yes, I have read all the great previous posts about this tranny issue.
Do I attempt to pull the motor and fix the tranny? For those that have done this repair, what are the realistic parts and costs I should expect? I've read a lot of price variation, although I realize this depends on parts that need to be replaced.
Also, were the parts readily available or did you have to wait a long time? I'm in no rush but just want to know what to expect.
A cheap used motor swap would be my ideal but I'm not looking to spend $600-$800 +shipping on an unknown ebay motor.
I'm not expecting to keep this as my long term sweetheart, just wanted something fun to drive for a bit, then sell to a good home.

-Am I better off just leaving it as is and selling it?
-Fix the fork seals, brakes, tires and windscreen and then sell?
-Jump into all work including the tranny repair?

I have no problem doing the actual labor and I have the service manual.

What is my best bang for the buck?

Thanks for your advice.
-MrM

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
6/19 Update on 93 GSXR750:
So I decided to pull the motor and trans apart. Not surprisingly 2nd gear engagement points are all worn out. Looks like the shift forks are pretty worn, so that didn't help matters. The rest of the gears, including 5th, all look good.
Unfortunately, 2nd gear (part# 24321-17E02) is on factory backorder, so no idea when I might see it. In the meanwhile, I purchased what looks like a decent complete set of used transmission gears from EBay.
New shift forks have been ordered (part #25211-17E02 and #25231-35F00) but looks like a LONG eta on these.
1. If anyone has any of these parts and would be willing to sell them, please let me know.
2. Does anyone have a cool way to hold the clutch basket while removing/tightening the nut without purchasing the very expensive Suzuki tool?
3. Any good resources for tappet shims?

Thanks

·
Likes to race old junk.
2,306 Posts
You can use a 1/2" air impact to spin off the clutch nut, without needing to hold it.
Or if the drive chain is still in place, put it in gear and lock the rear wheel with a piece of wood.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I see a bolt I DIDN’T take off! One of the fork seals are shot, so next step is to replace the seals. Might as well do the brake pads since they are pretty worn.
Replacement trans gears should arrive soon! I still have to wait until July for the new forks.

I hope I remember how to put this back together, lol!

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Check the selector drum for excess wear as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
7/2020 update
Success! Replaced transmission gears with a pretty good used set on eBay. New shift forks. (Selector drum looked fine- thanks for suggestion Wombat58). Took a good day to get it all back together. Needed a little help from a friend to get the engine mounted. All in all was pretty straight forward, but a fair amount of work.
Its nice to have 2nd gear now. No leaks so far.

Neutral gear indicator is a bit irrational for some reason.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
6/2021 update
Just figured I would post a pic of the "almost" finished product. Looks pretty good, I think. Runs great!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts