Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I thought it would be obvious what would need replacing but now when i have the gearbox out i cant find much wear at all.. Only thing i found was that the 2nd driven gear had a little bit more rounded corners on the dogs than the rest of the gears.

The first picture is 2nd driven and the second picture is the 5th driven:

The shift forks and shaft looks good and i can rotate and move them around freely. Is there a way to test if they are OK?

I want to be sure i get everything when i order parts so please tell me what i need.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The problem with the bike is that it goes into neutral when on 2nd gear with to much throttle. It is possible to ride in 2nd gear in low speed. All other gears works fine.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
So what are you saying ? Your a piece of shit ?... I'm a piece of shit ?... or your Oil cooled Gixxer is a piece of shit ?
🤣

·
Likes to race old junk.
2,306 Posts
The problem with the bike is that it goes into neutral when on 2nd gear with to much throttle. It is possible to ride in 2nd gear in low speed. All other gears works fine.
Slipping out of 2nd gear is common...think about it, your bike has probably had a few owners over the last 32yrs, who have definitely enjoyed running it hard through 1st gear and up into 2nd...that's why we love them.
It doesn't take much wear on those dogs, before they slip...it doesn't see much load at low rpm, that's why you can still ride around in 2nd at low speed.
Find someone in your area that can undercut your gears, somebody that looks after drag racers etc...that will prevent it from happening in the future.

Your other pictures don't show the side of the shift forks, that's where I'd be concerned about next...they're not that expensive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what are you saying ? Your a piece of shit ?... I'm a piece of shit ?... or your Oil cooled Gixxer is a piece of shit ?
🤣
I tried some usernames but they were already taken and I was angry because I had problems splitting the case so I guess the bike is the piece of shit..

My phone broke a few hours ago so I cant send more pictures of the forks but is it only the fork closest to the sprocket I need to change to be sure? Number 3 on the picture below.

Would it be enough with 2nd and 5th driven gear undercut or replaced together with a new number 3 shift fork or do I need something else?

Thanks to everyone for helping!

·
Likes to race old junk.
2,306 Posts
You generally get the whole set of driven gears undercut.
I can't see the condition of your shift forks, so it's up to you...
Now is the time to replace bearings and seals etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You generally get the whole set of driven gears undercut.
I can't see the condition of your shift forks, so it's up to you...
Now is the time to replace bearings and seals etc.
Ok, I'll see if I can find someone that can undercut the gears nearby, doesn't feel good to send them off with mail..

The third shift fork is the only one that have anything to do with 2nd gear right? I'll take a picture of them tomorrow evening.

I will replace all oil seals that's easy to reach but is it really necessary to replace bearings? Which ones were you thinking about?

·
Likes to race old junk.
2,306 Posts
I'm only going to advocate 'best work practices". I'm a heavy duty mechanic in real life and like most of you, I play bike mechanic at home in the garage.

If you go through the trouble to tear into an engine / transmission this far...then it only makes sense to go through it thoroughly, so that you don't have to do the job again in the near future.
Do it, or don't...I don't give 2 shits.

It would suck, if a couple months from now...your gear box started to growl, and then you had to 2nd guess yourself...I should have replaced those bearings while I was in there...they're 32 yrs old with how many thousand km on them at this point.

The parts really aren't that expensive, especially when you consider that your labour has been free...you're not going to be out that much. What's your peace of mind worth?
Most performance shops have a flat rate for undercutting...send them one gear or the lot...same price.

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
I vote undercut too, the entire cluster, might be some there work can be done to get that tranny to perform and last?

·
Likes to race old junk.
2,306 Posts
The shift forks don't look too bad...feel for any sharp edges and dress them with a file etc.

If you're on a tight budget...inspect the gear box bearings, turn them by hand...listen & feel for any rough spots.
At the very least, replace the clutch push rod seal and the counter shaft seal.

You should have degreased everything before you tore into it...it's really easy for a piece of grit to end up inside and it's so much nicer reassembling with clean parts.

Good luck,
Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts