Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this bike (wrecked). I cleaned the carbs and tank. I took is for a test run the other day then the next morning there was a little gas under it. When I tried to start it the solinoid (sp?) would just click like a dead battery. I put the battery on charge and pulled off the tank and airbox to check the plugs. (I had not done this yet) #2 was soaking wet. I cranked it over and it was full of gas! What caused this?? I know if I had something under the float needle it would drain the bowl in the cyl. But doesn't the tank have some sort of auto shut off? It has to because When I took it off nothing came out.

I only rode the bike maybe 10-15 miles. At 75 through 115 mph. When I got back I had used about half a tank of gas!! The bike was running great the whole time.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
could it be the little rubber seal that shuts the fuel supply to the float bowl when its full. ie passing.

i thought it just ran down a breather though, not the cylinder !

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm guessing I had a piece of trash under the float needle too but, there's not enough gas in the bowl to fill the entire cyl. is there? Anyway after I blew out the cyl and made another run with it,it seems ok. Also what about it using 1/2 a tank of gas in 15 miles. Shouldn't this thing get about 40 mpg?

After the low fuel light comes on how many miles can I expect to go?

Thanks

AGX 96

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
that needle in the bowl is the shut off, it would continue to flow fuel into the bowl after its full if its passing by.

could the float be stuck in the down postion ?? you said the bike was trashed so it could have been standing some time leaving the bowls full of shite ??

can you interupt the fuel supply to carb#2, leave it over night see what happens. if still problems then you'll haft to actually look at the needle (and its spring and see what up there).

15 miles half a tank is definately not good, at that rate if the light came on i'd start sweating and praying there's a station just around the corner !!

[ 12-03-2002, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: dan uk ]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After I blew out the cly. and took it for another test ride it's been sitting for 2 days. I checked it today and it fired right up. So whatever was in there must of passed on through. (hopefully)
The carbs couldn't of had too much in them. I just cleaned them and the tank out.

·
Registered
179 Posts
just keep a close eye on that problem, if it liquid locks that cylinder again and you try to start it it could bend a rod or even worse break the crank in half. I would do a complete carb overhaul just to make sure. Tear them apart and clean them out really good.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my 1100, you will probably need to change the oil too. In my case, the gas leaked past the rings and filled up the crankcase.

·
Registered
64 Posts
carbs are probably ok CHECK the petcock it is not shuting off MAKE sure you do not leave it in the prime position

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by Lynn:
carbs are probably ok CHECK the petcock it is not shuting off MAKE sure you do not leave it in the prime position
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No petcock.... No prim....

Check the carbs if it keeps up...

John

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's been sitting for about a week now. (snow) I went out there yesterday and the same thing happened. I'll be digging in the carbs soon. Does anyone use a inline fuel filter. If so what do you recomend

Jeremy

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
There should be a filter on the pump and one where the line goes into the carbs..

It sounds like the floats on the #2 carb are sticking or are leaking when closed.. This can happen if the needle on the float (the one that shuts off the fuel flow) get a dent in it.. And that can happen... You might want to take a GOOD look at it and see if it needs to be replaced.. I also think that some carbs have replacable seats too..

John

·
Registered
136 Posts
Your motor HYDRALOCKED, it is common with leaky carbs.Its liked the motor is locked up. Just take out the plugs and turn it over a few times to let the gas out. YOU MUST CHANGE THE OIL!!!!! YOU WILL WASH OUT THE BEARINGS!!!Motor be JUNK then for sure!!
SWIZ

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by AGX 96:
Thanks John

I'll be sure to check them out when I take it apart.

Jeremy
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">you might need to use something to magnify the parts... It can be hard to see sometimes..

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts