Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 1st time AR owner looking to get some range time with out having to purchase the ammo from the range store. They do not allow FMJ .223 ammo for what ever reason, I'm not sure. Wally World lately only has FMJ rounds. Can someone tell me where I can purchase non-FMJ ammo? I've looked on Cabela's website. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Congrats on your new AR! Is this an indoor range? Sounds like they either only allow pistol calibers or require you to use ammo purchased from them. Either way, I would be looking for another range.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
In hindsight, I should probably explain why I said what I did.

.223/5.56 FMJ is almost always the cheapest bullet type available in this caliber. Ballistic tip, frangible, hollow point, match grade, and soft point are almost always more expensive. Look around in the link below and you can see by how much. HTH.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/rifle-ammo-223-556

·
17,010 Posts
I'm a 1st time AR owner looking to get some range time with out having to purchase the ammo from the range store. They do not allow FMJ .223 ammo for what ever reason, I'm not sure. Wally World lately only has FMJ rounds. Can someone tell me where I can purchase non-FMJ ammo? I've looked on Cabela's website. Thanks in advance!!!

Pics of said rifle...:dunno

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
Indoor range is what I thought too.

I haven't been to a range since the 80s but I do recall jacketed rounds were a no-no, as they would tear-up the steel plates at back of the range that catch the rounds and deflect them downwards.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Congrats on your new AR! Is this an indoor range? Sounds like they either only allow pistol calibers or require you to use ammo purchased from them. Either way, I would be looking for another range.
Because I am new to the AR scene I took a trip to the range yesterday to get "educated" to exactly what they would allow. Turns out and I quote "it's the Wolf ammo and the stuff from eastern Europe with steel core" they do not allow. So the guy that was there this past weekend informed me incorrectly.:cursing

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Actually they allow you to bring in your own ammo and targets at this indoor range. I'm usually there once or twice a month during my lunch break. And this summer I once a month with my 19 year old daughter shooting my handguns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts