Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do ya recommend for a 20k oil change on a 2007 gixxer 600? What type/brand of oil?what type/brand of filter?

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
:stupid

OEM filter Rotella T6 and you should be doing this every 3,000 miles... its only like $35... :wacko

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,529 Posts
i would swear by search function oil. it is available in three places on this page and there are 1000s of threads of wear protection.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I think he means his bike has 20k miles. Not that it's been 20k since his last oil change.
The way he said it just makes it seem like its been way too long...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just bought this bike so it will be the first oil change for me.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Well you can read for days if not weeks on end about what oil and filter to use by searching. But IMO you can't go wrong with an OEM filter and Shell Rotella T6 from Wally World. And don't forget a new crush washer for the drain plug when you get the filter from the dealer. Next time search. :thumbup

·
Registered
117 Posts
My 2007 GSXR 1000 has been run on 10x40 motorcycle mineral oil since the beginning with excellent results. Decided to switch over to synthetic to extend the change interval, and following recommendations on this forum I used 5w40 Rotella T6 synthetic.

I immediately noticed that shifting quality had deteriorated. Significantly more clutch drag, which resulted in an enhanced clunk going into first and notchier/noisier upshifts. Drained the T6 and replaced it with Mobil 1 10w40 "racing" synthetic. Clutch drag was much reduced and shift quality was much improved, although it seemed that mineral worked better yet.

So. while I'm sure that Rotella does a fine job of keeping the engine alive, it doesn't seem to work as well as bonafide motorcycle oil for a wet clutch. My sense is that the mineral oil worked better yet, which may be the reason that Suzuki recommends it. At any rate, if you change your oil per the Suzuki-recommended change interval, it seems your best choice is mineral oil. I would only recommend synthetic if you want to extend change intervals (or maybe extended track use). While the price of Rotella is compelling, I can't really recommend it for this use.

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts