Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this bike a few months ago now, came up from my 1998 gsxr 600.
My 98 was lowered to the ground- as low as possible. Dropped. I bottom out on speed bumps. My 5’7 self can flat foot it no problem.
(I can flat foot the 750 surprisingly)
I was worried that coming from a lowered bike- I would be at a disadvantage because I had never learn to deal with my front wheel coming up under WOT.
My senses always told me that in many situations my 98 would just be shooting up the front tire if it wasn’t lowered. Genuinely.
Well owning the 750 now for a while.. riding very aggressively.. ripping the throttle in second gear all the time.. rolling off than on... sure it feels like it wants to come up... but it’s just not.
To my surprise I haven’t gotten the front wheel up at all under WOT.
Sometimes I really do feel like my 600 has some sort of edge on my 750.
I hope you guys don’t strike me down for saying that!
So I’m relived that I’m not constantly throwing my front wheel up when I grip a hand full of throttle to redline.... but also slightly disappointed.
I’m 120 pounds I do sit close up on my tank... should I scoot back a bit?
My suspension is set up for me.
Any personal experience and insight would help.
I have read the bikes geometry is meant to counter wheelies? Is this correct? I’ve found a few threads on older models.
Thank you guys.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,940 Posts
My liter bike doesn't come up unless you're really trying to get it to wheelie, which is good. That means your bike will actually accelerate. What's the point of flipping over?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Was your gearing changed on the old bike? You could change the gearing on the new bike or you could spend that cash on gear or better gear.

·
Super Moderator
15,049 Posts
Not sure how the newer bikes are geared or where the power is located but my old 2001 750 would roll the front wheel up in first no problem (meaning simply accelerate into full-on wheelie) and I would often bounce and hang second gear stand ups until my arms got tired with stock gearing. I would think the newer bikes were slightly stronger but then again I wouldn't be surprised if Suzuki dumbed things down a bit over the years. :dunno

There's no way your 600 should be more wheelie happy though. :monkeyface

·
Married his Fleshlight... And Also touches people
873 Posts
Gearing is pretty long...unless your agressively wacking on the throttle or coming over a pronounced crest in the road it will usually just accelerate forward.

If you are really trying to wheelie or learn to wheelie then sportsbikes and power wheelies arent at all ideal. Get a cheap dirtbike and take it off road...much safer and will teach you how to control a wheelie much more easy and safe.

Sent from my SM-J250G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
I can WOT my K6 1000 in first without the front tire coming up. Just have to have a smooth roll on. I'm not recommending you try this lol, but to power wheelie (no clutch up) I'll get up to about 45mph and give the throttle a good blip to get the front tire off the ground. You can do the same in 2nd but you have to have a bit more speed and a more aggressive throttle blip. Never rode a 750 so I can't say how easily the front tire comes up, but what I can say is be freaking careful. If you really want to learn how to wheelie I'd get a dirtbike like others have said. Wheelies are great way to destroy nice bikes. If you land with the front tire angled left or right be ready for a helluva tank slapper. Not trying to scare tactic here, we all do them or have done them at some point lol. Just saying, be careful. We're the same weight. I'm 5'10 though so I look pretty damn thin lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmm, my 2016 750 did 1st gear power wheelies pretty easy... my 2017 1000 does the same in 1st and 2nd... put a pillion on and she comes up in 3rd as well. I would check the gearing on your 750 mate as 150hp is more than enough to get the front wheel up?

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
I once had a K4750 and I learnt to wheelie on that bike.
2nd gear roll on hard shut it down to compress the forks then WOT and it will come up :grin2:
I always found clutching wheelies up was much safer because it was very predictable how high it would come up.
As much as I loved it I tend not to do them on purpose these days because I value my forks way too much.
In saying that one of the best feelings you can get on a bike is it raising its head on exit ever so gently, your 750 will do that if you get it right :cheers

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
My liter bike doesn't come up unless you're really trying to get it to wheelie, which is good. That means your bike will actually accelerate. What's the point of flipping over?
When I first got my L1, I thought, great, now I can learn how to wheelie. Doesn't matter what rev range I am in, what gear it is buzzing in or how fast I am going - anytime I give it a handful of throttle, all is does is squat down like an angry bulldog and shoots out like a hockey puck being slapped on virgin ice. Pretty neat but also not what I was expecting. Looks like I may need to look for a 636 and start spending more time with my Stuntin Buddies.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got this bike a few months ago now, came up from my 1998 gsxr 600.
My 98 was lowered to the ground- as low as possible. Dropped. I bottom out on speed bumps. My 5’7 self can flat foot it no problem.
(I can flat foot the 750 surprisingly)
I was worried that coming from a lowered bike- I would be at a disadvantage because I had never learn to deal with my front wheel coming up under WOT.
My senses always told me that in many situations my 98 would just be shooting up the front tire if it wasn’t lowered. Genuinely.
Well owning the 750 now for a while.. riding very aggressively.. ripping the throttle in second gear all the time.. rolling off than on... sure it feels like it wants to come up... but it’s just not.
To my surprise I haven’t gotten the front wheel up at all under WOT.
Sometimes I really do feel like my 600 has some sort of edge on my 750.
I hope you guys don’t strike me down for saying that!
So I’m relived that I’m not constantly throwing my front wheel up when I grip a hand full of throttle to redline.... but also slightly disappointed.
I’m 120 pounds I do sit close up on my tank... should I scoot back a bit?
My suspension is set up for me.
Any personal experience and insight would help.
I have read the bikes geometry is meant to counter wheelies? Is this correct? I’ve found a few threads on older models.
Thank you guys.
These bikes are designed to race not stunt. So you need your tire down. If you want a smooth easy wheelie get in 2and gear about 7-8000 rpm pull clutch and hit 3/4 throttle and drop clutch in less than a second ( except getting to the rpm range lol)

·
Super Moderator
15,049 Posts
These bikes are designed to race not stunt. So you need your tire down. If you want a smooth easy wheelie get in 2and gear about 7-8000 rpm pull clutch and hit 3/4 throttle and drop clutch in less than a second ( except getting to the rpm range lol)
Tell that to this guy! :LOL:

Rossi.jpg

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm still trying to get over the OP's first post, and having the/her? former bike slammed so low, couldn't even go over speed bumps?
It is easier to drag a knee in corners with it that low, right?
That's all I'd be concerned about.
Ride a unicycle for Christ's Sake!

·
Registered
2019 Suzuki GSX-R 750
12 Posts
I have a '19 750 as well, I can only get it to power wheelie in 1st gear and I really have to romp on it. I have not been able to wheelie in any gear but 1st with clutching. All my sprockets are still stock at the moment. Havent quite figured out the power range to get it to stand up after first.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts