Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The steering on my 2018 jobby is slow and cumbersome and takes away a bit of the fun. I think it's caused by the super sticky Dunlop GPRaces D212 tyres. I love the grip, so sticking with them.

It feels as though the steering damper is too tight.

Are there any suspension changes that can quicken up the steering a bit ?

I used to get free track suspension setup when I was in the UK, and they did something to make it quicker. About the same time as we started using D212s

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm no expert for giving advice. But I know running lower tire pressures (30 psi) on my '18 was contributing to slower steering. I found 35 psi to be a good compromise.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My brother has a Suzuki GSX-S1000FA and the standard tyre was the Dunlop D214 190/50 series and as it wore down the shape got decidedly flat across the tread and as a result, his steering became slower and much the same as you seem to have described it. In the end he had to fight it when going into corners. He recently changed to Bridgestone T31 190/50 which has a much rounder profile even though it is still a 50 series, and now he cannot believe just how nimble his bike is to throw around corners.

My GSX-R1000A L8 still has the standard Bridgestone RS10's on it,, I love them. At first I thought the bike was kind of too quick into corners, making me feel a little nervous. You'd only have to think about cornering and next thing you'd be nearly scraping your kneecaps (I'm kidding of course). For my liking, I had to slow the steering down a bit by playing around with suspension settings, mostly on the rear shock, softening it quite a bit because I am not so tall and am also a little light in weight, which I did successfully. Now the bike is exactly where I'd like it to be on cornering - super quick into, around & out of corners while staying rock steady 100% of the time...

Maybe your tyre choice does not fully complement the bikes natural cornering capabilities, or maybe a bit more fine tuning the suspension would help.. On the front end you might have to drop the triple clamps down a few millimeters on the fork tubes (if you can, because I think the forks are tapered just below the bottom clamp) to quicken the steering and/or stiffen up the rear just a tad to keep in a more raised position adding the the cornering quickness..

Al

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the UK I was a track instructor and on my K1, K3, K5 and K7 I used D211s. On the K9 and L3 I used D212s as now, and I did notice they were a bit slower turning, but they offered amazing grip.

We are going to Jerez and Portimao soon, so may get a friendlier tyre after them, for road use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts