Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new to me ‘17 GSXR 1000 was tuned with Woolich and has a Woolich quickshifter. I am missing the 4/5 upshift 50% of the time, so I have resorted to old-school, throttle-rolloff clutchless shifting for this gear change and even use the clutch sometimes for the 4/5 upshift. Both the rolloff and the clutched 4/5 upshift work smoothly. The quickshifter works beautifully for every other upshift or downshift. (Auto blip is stupid fun).

My local tuner couldn’t duplicate the problem on the dyno, but did adjust the sensitivity to try and resolve the problem for me. His adjustment made no difference. I continue having the same issue on track during race or track day. The latter allowed me more bandwidth to make sure I was making a deliberate, clean, strong 4/5 up shift, but I still had the problem. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Can the tuner try more cut time? I have the same upgrades but done by Karns flashing the ecu and adding a quickshift shift rod. On mine I could have changed the sensitivity myself, not sure if woolich is the same or if your tuner can make the changes in the ecu.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Sorry to hear this but good to hear someone else with the exact same problem.
Unfortunately we cannot change the kill times, in the Woolich system. On mine I can only change sensitivity by altering the voltages. I have done this with guidance from Woolich and it will change okay but not WOT.
I have come to the point where all I can think of is to remove the gearbox and have a good look, because I no longer believe it's an electronic problem. ALL up and down changes are butter smooth apart from 4th to 5th and I have grown tired of changing oil and filter every time it grinds because I don't want foreign bodies flowing through the oil galleries and/or bearings.
It's not too much of a problem at a couple of the tracks I go to as it's geared quite tall.
That's how I bought it, which makes me think the previous owner was aware of the issue and geared it so he could use it at the track where the local championship is run using only 1st to 4th.
If you have any further thoughts on the issue I'd love to hear them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear this but good to hear someone else with the exact same problem.
Unfortunately we cannot change the kill times, in the Woolich system. On mine I can only change sensitivity by altering the voltages. I have done this with guidance from Woolich and it will change okay but not WOT.
I have come to the point where all I can think of is to remove the gearbox and have a good look, because I no longer believe it's an electronic problem. ALL up and down changes are butter smooth apart from 4th to 5th and I have grown tired of changing oil and filter every time it grinds because I don't want foreign bodies flowing through the oil galleries and/or bearings.
It's not too much of a problem at a couple of the tracks I go to as it's geared quite tall.
That's how I bought it, which makes me think the previous owner was aware of the issue and geared it so he could use it at the track where the local championship is run using only 1st to 4th.
If you have any further thoughts on the issue I'd love to hear them.
I am meeting my tuner at Mid Ohio Raceway Monday and will let you what we try and if anything helps.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I am not GP shift.

I don't think I need undercutting as my problem is not staying in gear, it's getting into gear. 5th gear.
Haven't heard of micro polishing with regard to this. I'll look it up.

Thank you both.

·
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
66 Posts
I have the exact issue, except I have a FTECU QS with GP shift. Works as it should up and down shifting in every gear except 4th to 5th gear WOT.

my bike is a race bike and at tracks with longer straights and faster turns this really sucks.

I’ve contacted FTECU and they responded and acknowledged my issue, nothing as Fas as next steps yet.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
My new to me ‘17 GSXR 1000 was tuned with Woolich and has a Woolich quickshifter. I am missing the 4/5 upshift 50% of the time, so I have resorted to old-school, throttle-rolloff clutchless shifting for this gear change and even use the clutch sometimes for the 4/5 upshift. Both the rolloff and the clutched 4/5 upshift work smoothly. The quickshifter works beautifully for every other upshift or downshift. (Auto blip is stupid fun).

My local tuner couldn’t duplicate the problem on the dyno, but did adjust the sensitivity to try and resolve the problem for me. His adjustment made no difference. I continue having the same issue on track during race or track day. The latter allowed me more bandwidth to make sure I was making a deliberate, clean, strong 4/5 up shift, but I still had the problem. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
undercut and micro polish.....

jason
Jason, Is this something you can do and if so could you give me an idea of the cost. If I’d do it, I’d do so at the end of the season. I guess you’d have to split the cases?

FYI - I’m friends with skriak and I have the same issue with my 17 GSXR 1K, although I seem to be able to make the shift 90% of the time if I focus on getting a clean poke at the shift lever.

I can confirm s Kriak’s issue is legit as he missed the 4th to 5th shift while I was in his draft on the back straight at Nelson Ledges and had to clean out my leathers. 😱

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
WOW, shigeru, sorry to hear you have the same issue but so glad I'm not alone. Mine is a race bike too, and like you it's when I want to go to the tracks like Eastern Creek in Sydney, where I really need 5th and maybe even 6th that it becomes a real problem. I tried it once with no QS. It worked fine but who wants to do that in 2021?
bacolmm, it has a cassette gearbox, so you don't have to remove the engine fro the frame. How cool is that?

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
Jason, Is this something you can do and if so could you give me an idea of the cost. If I’d do it, I’d do so at the end of the season. I guess you’d have to split the cases?

FYI - I’m friends with skriak and I have the same issue with my 17 GSXR 1K, although I seem to be able to make the shift 90% of the time if I focus on getting a clean poke at the shift lever.

I can confirm s Kriak’s issue is legit as he missed the 4th to 5th shift while I was in his draft on the back straight at Nelson Ledges and had to clean out my leathers. 😱
i wont discuss pricing over an open forum. but it will fix it. - you dont have to split the cases the trans comes out from behind the clutch. have done about 8ish of them.

jason

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do youhave an aftermarket clutch lever and perch like a brembo? if so if the lever can move around this may be your problem so you need to take up the slack.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Does anybody sudgest a type of quickshifter to connect on the woolich system who can solve this problem.
Like a translogic(possible to set cuttingtime) but working for shifting and blipper?
A translogic only works for shifting...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just recently ordered a Woolich QS and mail in flash from Chris Moore at Moore Mafia. I do not have an upshift problem at full throttle. My issue is at part throttle where all other gears are butter smooth, into 5th it's more of a lurch and quite a delay. Almost feels like when you slip the clutch. Same thing on the auto-blip down. Absolutely no issues wide open though, pulls like a train. Maybe Chris has some tricks up his sleeve 🤔?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just recently ordered a Woolich QS and mail in flash from Chris Moore at Moore Mafia. I do not have an upshift problem at full throttle. My issue is at part throttle where all other gears are butter smooth, into 5th it's more of a lurch and quite a delay. Almost feels like when you slip the clutch. Same thing on the auto-blip down. Absolutely no issues wide open though, pulls like a train. Maybe Chris has some tricks up his sleeve 🤔?
My first engine was no problem untill problem begins also after 5K km's... Nothing really special to see on the sprockets or other parts in the gearbox.
When no shifting problem, bike also pulls like a train. No problem with clutch feeling.
An probably not really a woolich problem but a gearbox isue... who i want to try maybe to solve with another shifter to put in extra time cutting.
Will ask Moore, what hé thinks about this...

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Thanks. That's what I thought and I appreciate confirmation.
I'd like to ask you about undercutting and micro polishing.
I'm in Australia, so it could be a problem in the current climate.
For now I have adjusted gearing so I can use it as a 4 speed box. Pretty tall.
Is it best to call or email? [email protected]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts