Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to rebuild a blown Gsxr 1000 motor. I have zero mechanic capabilities. i currently have two blown motors, a tool kit. Is their any diagram or manual i should?

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts
Do you really expect to rebuild an intricate engine with zero mechanical abilities. That means you can't change a spark plug. There are services manuals but with zero mechanical abilities I would not attempt it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you really expect to rebuild an intricate engine with zero mechanical abilities. That means you can't change a spark plug. There are services manuals but with zero mechanical abilities I would not attempt it.
i can do that, i own a semi, i do my basic repairs, btw this is my second post you comment without any helpful advice.

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts
i can do that, i own a semi, i do my basic repairs, btw this is my second post you comment without any helpful advice.
Btw you posted in the wrong section twice. This is the dirt bike/off road section. Secondly you're the one who said zero mechanical abilities. Zero is none. Now you say you have some abilities. Based on your OP my advice was not to do it. That was the only advice to give. Sorry you didn't find it helpful.

Lastly lose the attitude or your stay on here will be short.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
A tool kit? As in the chinesium wrenches made of solder that came under the passenger seat?

No. Just, no.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Buy a manual mate.. Sit down have a good read.. We all had to start somwere. U will need alot of quality tools tho... Go for it it's basic really.. Just setup cams and timing is more complex.. The manual will guide u all the way.. Good luck mate..

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
Btw you posted in the wrong section twice.
No no no :facepalm 'Let's get dirty'... as in roll-up your sleeves and dive-in! If he isn't a troll, I love this guy :biggrin

I'm reminded of Sean Penn in Fast Times at Ridgemont High

WTF is up with embedding a youtube clip???

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
If it's "blown" then some (or a lot) of machine work is going to be involved depending on what caused the catastrophic failure.
It's a very vague question without much info provided from you.

My advice is,purchase a Genuine Suzuki Factory Service Manual(not the Haynes crap) and go through it's entirety if you plan on rebuilding it yourself. See if you understand whats printed inside,if you do then go for it. If you don't then source a running,used engine of known quality. You won't know the damage and the cost to rebuild(which could easily be thousands) until you tear it down.

Chances are good that if you have limited mechanical ability along with this being your 1st build,it may run for a bit then grenade itself.
There's only one way to find out...

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Download and read the service manual, you will be able to determine for your self if you possess the ability to rebuild the motor.
Bingo!!!
We must have been typing our replies at the exact same time :lol

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
How come you have 2, not one but two blown engines ?
I thing you must first find out why hey are "blown" ( whatever that means ) before you start to "fix" them. The 2012-2016 are fairly bulletproof engines as long as one doest do stupid things like to much boost or NOS.

IF there has been to much NOS or boost then they are not worth saving unless you are willing to spend more money than a "new" one cost.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
How come you have 2, not one but two blown engines ?
I thing you must first find out why hey are "blown" ( whatever that means ) before you start to "fix" them. The 2012-2016 are fairly bulletproof engines as long as one doest do stupid things like to much boost or NOS.

IF there has been to much NOS or boost then they are not worth saving unless you are willing to spend more money than a "new" one cost.

https://www.gixxer.com/forums/295-12-16-gsx-r1000/823964-2016-gsxr-1000-engine-knock.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A tool kit? As in the chinesium wrenches made of solder that came under the passenger seat?

No. Just, no.
nah i got decent tool kit/set i take with me if i gotta do an alternator, cac hose, work on my reefer unit(for my trailer) on my truck. But i assumin diesel mechanic and motorcycle mechanic is two different worlds.

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts
nah i got decent tool kit/set i take with me if i gotta do an alternator, cac hose, work on my reefer unit(for my trailer) on my truck. But i assumin diesel mechanic and motorcycle mechanic is two different worlds.
Not a different world, just different. If you had told what abilities you actually had instead of saying you had zero, you would have gotten a different answer from me. I still would have busted your balls about posting in the wrong section twice though.

·
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug
262 Posts
Lets run through all the things wrong with this. I've been gone all weekend and come back to ..... this?

1. You have already been told that those engines are not worth fixing because you put a rod through the case and monetarily doesn't make sense. But lets say for some weird reason you have a sentimental attachment to your garbage EBAY engine you decided to purchase and don't care about the cost to fix it. We will now proceed to 2.

2. You first say you have no mechanical ability and ask how hard it would be to go through every detail of a very precise machine and determine what is wrong and right and fix what is wrong then rebuild it..... Pretty sure Suzuki has something called ENGINEERS that create these and sometimes they have issue so I'd say common sense pretty damn hard. But ill play and say you can rebuild your entire redneck semi-truck and have before and all with no mechanical "smarts". Please proceed to 3.

3.YOUR SPORT BIKE ISN'T A DIESEL ENGINE YOU TWIT. They are completely different so even if you were a savant on your semi doesn't mean shit on your Japanese sport bike.
At the end of the day dude YOU blew 2 engines. The fact that you didn't notice over 2 quarts of oil coming out of your bike or didn't do ANY type of pre-ride check, shit a WEEKLY check, to determine through the view port that the engine was bone dry tells me your dangerously stupid and are going to harm/kill yourself or others on the road and have no business on anything with two wheels. The way your speaking and the issues your having I can tell you went and bought a liter bike thinking your old enough to ride one but ill tell you one thing to an extent age doesn't matter you don't "belong" on a large performance machine because your a certain age. I know not 1 person who rides within their abilities on a 1000 and doesn't know how to wrench out most of the bike. How about respecting the hobby or way of life that most of us on here choose and don't do stupid shit and ask stupid questions, then get pissy when someone tells you how it is.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Well,damn...

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
.....You have already been told that those ENGINES (motors are electric, engines are run with some type of fuel lets not be too redneck)...
No. That is a common but completely unqualified opinion. I just headed over to MIT's website to copy / paste:

The Oxford English Dictionary defines “motor” as a machine that supplies motive power for a vehicle or other device with moving parts. Similarly, it tells us that an engine is a machine with moving parts that converts power into motion. “We use the words interchangeably now,” says Fuller.”

In fact, this is me from earlier today:
Upper / lower cases are matched when manufactured and not interchangeable.

IE you have two big lumps of spare parts and no serviceable motors. Sorry.

·
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug
262 Posts
No. That is common but completely unqualified opinion. I just headed over to MIT's website to copy / paste:

The Oxford English Dictionary defines “motor” as a machine that supplies motive power for a vehicle or other device with moving parts. Similarly, it tells us that an engine is a machine with moving parts that converts power into motion. “We use the words interchangeably now,” says Fuller.”

In fact, this is me from earlier today:
Yea yea yea. I know haha but it still irks me haha something my father ingrained into my mind:hammer

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
The service manual is still designed for a technician to do the job. I once rebuilt a GSX-R600 engine myself that had a spun rod bearing for a guy that hired me to do it fresh out of school. As fun as it was, I never would have attempted that had I NOT just graduated from motorcycle mechanics school with Suzuki shop a few months prior. Camshaft timing was still fresh on my mind. :lol With it being my very first engine rebuild by myself I can remember actually being shocked that I pulled it off. :eek

Anyway....It is far easier and less time consuming to simply do a motor swap if you have any doubts as to your mechanical abilities. If you can afford to experiment and just do it for fun than go for it. :thumbup

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
15 Participants
wallym
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing