Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just bought a 2011 gsxr 750 with 8k miles. Runs strong, very fun, but I am having some issues with what I've been told is the rectifier. the bike takes a few seconds "too long" to start (3-5 sec). If its warm and I'm coasting to a stop, sometimes the bike will die on me, which is potentially very dangerous. I'm getting an error code " SD or 5D" on the dash. My friend recommended a new rectifier, but I want to find some more info out and see if there are any recommendations before I spend any more money.
Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
03,GsxR600
4 Posts
Well with like most things these days underneath the hood which would be our gas tank is the rest of the motor I found that these bikes also have Cam sensors throttle body sensors and a list of other sensors like it was a car motor I would start with the throttle positioning I recently try to adjust my throttle and started having the same issue when I was coasting it would stop became major pain in my ass so I readjusted throttle and haven't had that problem since I would start there because that wouldn't cost you anything as long as you know what you're doing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well with like most things these days underneath the hood which would be our gas tank is the rest of the motor I found that these bikes also have Cam sensors throttle body sensors and a list of other sensors like it was a car motor I would start with the throttle positioning I recently try to adjust my throttle and started having the same issue when I was coasting it would stop became major pain in my ass so I readjusted throttle and haven't had that problem since I would start there because that wouldn't cost you anything as long as you know what you're doing
Thanks for the advice, Shawn. I'll give that a try. I know bikes are expensive but the dealer near me wants an outrageous amount of money just to diagnose it. Its frustrating. But ill give that a shot. I appreciate your response!

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Don’t just throw parts at it. Its not the rectifier. Get a genuine suzuki service manual. Search this site for your problem, you will learn a lot. That code has been asked about many times.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,528 Posts
First, you're in the 1000 section with questions about a 750. Answers here may not be applicable. You definitely need a service manual.

SD is steering damper. It's commonly associated with it being disconnected but I think a malfunctioning speed sensor will also cause it. Check the various connections, including those between the front and main harnesses.

Dying at a stop can be caused by a faulty or bypassed clutch lever switch. People used to do that when installing aftermarket levers. Not anymore, i.e. since idle speed controls were introduced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First, you're in the 1000 section with questions about a 750. Answers here may not be applicable. You definitely need a service manual.

SD is steering damper. It's commonly associated with it being disconnected but I think a malfunctioning speed sensor will also cause it. Check the various connections, including those between the front and main harnesses.

Dying at a stop can be caused by a faulty or bypassed clutch lever switch. People used to do that when installing aftermarket levers. Not anymore, i.e. since idle speed controls were introduced.
just realized im in the wrong section. Thanks man! I havent had much time to dive that deep into it yet. The bike runs amazing, power wise and handling. I'm trying to get it diagnosed myself before taking it to a dealer, and these forums really have a lot of smart people on here. Thanks for the info man!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts