Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a 2010 1k with dual yoshimura slip-ons..
Can i just make a y pipe and delete the cat but use only ONE slip on? i know i could just buy a single Can that automatically gets rid of the cat without even having to do a costum Y-pipe, but i have the duals already.

So my question is, are the dual slip-ons the same as a single yosh slip on? or are they built differently (baffle inserts, back pressure) so the dual cans are made to = 1 single can?

what i'm saying is, if i just use one of the 2, will i get the equivalence of a single yoshimura slip on that was designed to be one single can?

thanks!

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,718 Posts
I looked into this when I put an R77 slip-on on my K6. The muffler comes in two main variants that differ only in length. Busas get two 14", 600's get a single 12", and 1000's get two 12" for duals or one 14" for singles. The length refers to the shell, not the caps. They all have a 2¼" inlet I.D. There are subvariants that have to do with the location of the badge for dual systems. Also some have the insert permanently installed. Finally there's a race only version that I think is a 12" with a 1/8" larger pipe. You'll probably never encounter one. A single 12" can be used on a 1000 but it will be louder. On a full system it would be appropriate to check the map. On a slip-on you should be OK.

I never had to worry about a cat so you'll have to get help on it from other members/threads. Off hand I'd think that remaping would be appropriate. But the HO2 sensor and built in mixture adjustment might be able to compensate for it. I recall switching to a wide band sensor being mentioned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm familiar with y-pipes and de-cats so that's not an issue. My only concern was the fact that performance would be hindered from using only 1 of the 2 Cans, rather than having 2 since those dual yosh cans were designed to be used that way.

From what you're telling me, I think i might opt for that rather than buying another single!

thanks for the quick and detailed response!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts