Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought a 2010 that my buddy laid down, minor damage under 3000 km. it's been sitting for a year or two. I had it started up a bunch of times to make sure it would run, then got to work changing the fairings, I bought a complete kit off ebay. The clutch cover was cracked so I bought a new one from suzuki and changed it. Went to test ride it and battery was dead again, hooked booster cables to the truck and tried to start it. It would crank and crank but not even attempt to fire. I figured low voltage so I started my truck up. Tried again for a while with no luck. I was googling stuff and left the cables on, the battery started smoking/steaming. I'm an idiot. :banghead After some searching with not much luck I thought maybe I wrecked the crank position sensor when I changed the ckp ordered a new one, put it in tonight. No change. Then thought maybe fouled plugs, cleaned old ones reinstalled, nothing. Tried starting before I put it all back together, it's like the timing is off, it will backfire and shoot flames out the intake at part throttle while cranking. Picked up new plugs, changed fuel, it was pretty old, no change at all. What else could it be?! I'm starting to think maybe I toasted the ecm at some point?? It is sparking but not at the right time.
:dunno

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one has any ideas? Has anyone ever had a crank sensor bad right from brand new?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
What I can tell you is........Having your truck running was a bad idea!!!!!
The power from the batt would have been enough provided it was a good batt.
Sounds like another issue was present before you fried some other parts.
Could be a bunch of things.
Get a manual, and a volt meter. Start testing wires+++++
Any fault (fi)codes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I realize that wasn't wise. Won't do that again. I've got a fresh battery in it now. The frustrating part is it's not throwing any codes at all. That's what makes me think ecu maybe. Is there anything special related to changing the clutch cover and setting crank position sensor distance? I even tried putting the old cracked cover on. Also no change. :dunno

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I've checked it. It tested good. And it shouldn't spark at all if its bad right? It's getting spark, I checked all 4 coils when I put the new plugs in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've definitely got fuel. And good compression. It seems to be sparking at the wrong time. Like the ignition timing is off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tried another ecu tonight and no change at all. Still acts the same and no codes. Any other ideas?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts