Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and did not see anything on this. Has anybody had any issues with the oil pump chain actually hitting the inside of the motor cases? I had a rattle that I thought was the cam chain tensioner but upon inspection it’s the oil pump chain digging out the cases. I have never seen anything like this. Thanks for any input

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,933 Posts
Could you post a pic of where it's hitting?

I'd expect the chain to have a standard pitch. Assuming that it does, you could remove and measure it with some calipers to determine how much it has stretched. You could also visually inspect the sprockets for wear. I think the chain is continuously bathed in oil from the countershaft which should give a long life.

·
Premium Member
7,845 Posts
I'm wondering if it wasn't a cast imperfection overlooked, take it in, have em look at it or maybe compare your case with cases on ebay see if that area isn't dressed back to give chain more room? perhaps someone here knows that case and can offer an opinion if it looks off?

it certainly looks like there is extra material there, its not following the radius but I don't know that engine from my arse..

dry it up real good, slap a piece of thin cardboard between the chain and case then use a string vacuum cleaner and small dremel tip to dress is back, fluch engine well, new filter n oil.. you are referring to the side right where that oil is not behind it right? maybe you can send that pic toa suzuki tech somewhere and ask if that case doesn't look off somehow imperfect that made it by QC..

but you say it just started suddenly? odd, only thing I can think of is the chain finally broke in and is at the tension they want it which does have some slack and its enough to catch an imperfect case? in any event check specs and tension spelled out in service manual just to be sure...

found one on ebay, looks almost identical but my eyes.. :)

Sleeve Grey Collar Helmet Automotive tire

·
10,933 Posts
Is there enough slack that you can you easily press the chain by hand to move it into the groove? Hard to tell but I think I see some slack on the right side that I don't see in the service manual pics (around 1D-64). I'd be inclined to replace the chain but don't claim to know much about the chain driven pumps.

This would be a non-O ring roller chain. The allowable stretch seems to be about 1%, though most stretch specs are for O ring types.

I thinking that any worn aluminum is either in the sump or the filter. You might look for some.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the case is manufactured that way.
Do you see any wear and tear around it. Is it smooth or rough to the touch?
I was also told the case is made like that but it is definitely rough to the touch almost like a shark was eating it instead of a clean CNC cut. I changed out the chain last night and put it together. It was too late to fire it up so I will do that this morning and see if that helped. Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up putting a new chain on the old pump and everything went back together properly. I am still getting noise but it sounds like the CCT might be the issue. My next plan of attack is to replace it with an APE manual chain tensioner. Thanks

·
10,933 Posts
K9 uses a redesigned and superior CCT. Look in the service manual about checking it and setting it up. Search here about a manual tensioner. They're tricky to install and need frequent attention.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts