Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I would reach out and get a second opinion. I have searched out on a few forums with no luck.

I have just swapped out an oem CCT with a APE Pro (ST1300-08-PRO)on my 2009 gsxr600.this took a little messing around to get the new one in and coming up with a configuration of swivel extensions, universals and a 5mm Allen screw driver bit to be able to tighten the 2 bolts to the recommended torque. Everything went smooth other then having to pull the new CCT out because it was pissing oil due to the fact that the oem brass oil jet protrudes past the gasket mating surface on the head. And the gasket isn’t thick enough to bridge this gap. The original CCT has a recess where this jet would sit.Did a little research and found that you NEED to remove the brass oil jet (this just sits in the head) I removed with needle nose pliers as mentioned by others.

now onto my question, I had what sounded like the typical CCT rattle, and noticed that the engine on my gsxr600 is quite a bit noisier then my Cbr600rr. valves on both bikes are adjusted accordingly both are 2009 model year and within 6000 miles of each other. The gsxr600 just sounds terrible. I disassembled and inspected the oem tensioner ... played with it quite a bit and don’t exactly know how it can fail. It has a very course screw / cork screw inside ( more aggressive then acme threads) and couple of springs. The tensioner needs to have pressure to overcome the spring then be manually turned. ( to be collapsed)As soon as you release pressure the spring pushes the inner and outer threads apart and the tensioner gets locked where ever it stops you can’t push the CCT back in because the threads/ cork screw are locked and need to be rotated clockwise with enough pressure to over come the spring again.

So is installing this APE Manual CCT just a gimmick it appears that the OEM one is idiot proof AGAIN why install one with this specific design. I don’t know what model and years this oem style one is used on but the APE replacement covers quite a few models and a large year range

sorry for the winded post just wanted to note all my findings for the next guy

thanks

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,842 Posts
Suzuki fixed the bad CTT design back in the early 2000's. Why people still think they need a manual tensioner is beyond me. You're right, you didn't need to replace the stock unit.

It must be with Suzuki's design, but they are known for a noisy valve train. I'd say your bike probably didn't have an issue and you just wasted a bunch of time and money.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts