Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm from Sweden so my English may not be the best.

I have a gixxer 1000 from 2009 and my color scheme is the blue and white.
I've just bought it and there are a few scratches here and there and therefore I'm looking for a new fairing set. My question is if the 2015 have the same blue as the older 2009? I don't want to repaint my gastank, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks
Arn

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,578 Posts
Don't understand your logic but, in any event, go to colorrite.com. They say that both use the same YSF Metallic Triton Blue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't understand your logic but, in any event, go to colorrite.com. They say that both use the same YSF Metallic Triton Blue.
Oh sorry.
The faring kit I've been looking at is a replica of the 2015 oem faring.
Thanks for the answer.

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,101 Posts
The faring kit I've been looking at is a replica of the 2015 oem faring.
If you're considering swapping OEM farings for replicas over some scratches, bear in mind that faring replicas are very inferior to OEMs in quality.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
If you're considering swapping OEM farings for replicas over some scratches, bear in mind that faring replicas are very inferior to OEMs in quality.
+1

Aftermarket fairings, usually a Chinese knockoff brand, are never close to OEM quality, so I would be leery about changing them over some scratches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your opinion but of course I would not throw away the oem fairing. I like the new look on the 2015 but I don't have the money to buy one.

The kit I looked at costs 475$ and it is ABS plastic from China.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,101 Posts
Just expect worse quality plastic, bad fitting parts, requiring some manual work to mount, without nessecarily mating perfectly and bad paint quality, which might fade in a few year's time. That's how it was on the plastics for my old 400RR. That's great for the price and they might be better nowadays, but you should consider just painting your OEMs if the colorscheme is important to you.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,578 Posts
Are the K9 to L5 fairings the same except for the paint scheme? There's no way that, for example, a K5/K6 fairing would fit on a K7/K8.

It's obviously going to depend on condition but I would guess that a scratched OEM fairing is worth as much or more than a new aftermarket fairing.

Aftermarket quality apparently varies from seller to seller. See this starting about 2/3 of the way down.

I gather that you're saying that it would cost significantly more than $475 to have your scratched fairing repainted.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I'm assuming the OP wants to get new fairings to update his paint scheme to the 2015 Suzuki "GP" livery. I'm sure he'd buy K9 fairings, but with the 2015 GP "replica" livery, and save his OEM fairings in their original finish. He wants to know if his 2009 fuel tank would match the 2015 blue livery on the new Chinese (K9) fairings, so he doesn't have to repaint the tank.

Arn, there are several threads in this forum about different Chinese fairing vendors. Some are fair, some are really bad, as BillV said. Read up and make an informed decision before you spend your money.

·
Registered
261 Posts
as long as you've got a good eye for fitting things up they will be fine, tho don't expect OEM levels of panel gap closeness- but you can get it pretty close. Tho I suspect that there is likely to be varying quality across the different makers and suppliers out of china. Make sure it is the injection moulded ABS tho. They advertise this fact on their sites and how it is superior to other fairing makers so it is easy to see whats-what.

Anyway, I must say I found the stock colours hideous so I took the plunge and did the china fairing kit in the paint scheme I wanted (and did paint the tank to match).

see before and after.

It came up a treat and I couldn't be happier. certainly the paint isn't nearly as thick as OEM but take care of it and it will be fine. Also for such little money- get a scratch and order a replacement.
Fairing stickers are high quality and are under the clear coat for that OEM look.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
K9 - L5 fairings are exactly the same, blue color is also the same but you never know it's the same blue with cheap quality Chinese fairings.. Besides the "Uki " scheme on side panels is a mistake IMO :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Besides the "Uki " scheme on side panels is a mistake IMO :)
So true, I cringe every time I see that and want to meet (and slap) the designers who came up with that and signed off on it thinking "yeah, that looks great. lets put that on our flagship bike"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks guys!
I must take the bike for a first ride to see if I even like the super sport before changing the fairings.
Before the gixxer I had a Yamaha FZ1 (naked) which I liked very much but the wind protection was zero. Highway riding was a real pain after a few miles.
I bought the gixxer about two weeks ago and it will be atleast 2 months before I can take it out because of the winter.

Thanks again!

/Arn

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
Well...at the end of the day us racers always went aftermarket.

Yes if you're going for an oem look you need to buy oem fairings, that's a given. Yet there are pletny of China faired bikes that look pretty nice here on the forum. At least in my opinion.

Personally if I crashed hard enough to need fairing replacements, I'd call the insurance company but I don't think many folks are carrying full coverage these days on their bikes or they'd rather not deal with an expensive deductible. I don't know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
Carnage
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing