Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

2008 Gsxr 600 - multifacet troubles

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  MacBayne 
#1 ·
Gents, I find myself in a "Help me, Obi-Wan.." situation. So, here's what I've got:

08 gsxr 600, 15k miles. It's been dropped several times at low speed, once significantly - a while ago.

So, here's the situation: Bike is hard starting, runs very well once it is started. If shut off, it will not restart for a while. If I raise kickstand in neutral, it dies. I think I have two (or more issues here). Kickstand switch, that's easy. I'm not sure if it's satisfied if open or closed, but it's one or the other and I plan to remove the switch altogether. No sweat there. However. The other problem is the real concern - it will not restart once shut off.

Previous owner put in new fuel pump, stator, and rectifier. He did a relatively poor job, but after following the wires and fixing a depinning issue, the bike charges as it should when running.

I cleaned fuel injectors. The pump runs fine - I do not believe this to be a fuel issue. I replaced plugs as well.

Currently the bike has no mid- or front- fairings on it. I've plugged the dampener in (threw a code in dealer mode, after that - no codes). I do have one plugs that is not connected and I don't know what it is. It comes out of the harness near where the injectors do. The connector itself is black, looks like a light plug. I don't have access to the bike to post a picture or a better description right now. It's not the airbox connector, not the fuel rail/injectors plugs - but it is very near there. Any idea what it could be?

Thought on problem(s): I think the kickstand switch may be faulty. The other..I don't know. No hot restart. Tip over sensor? Throttle position sensor? Crank or can position sensor? Fried ECM?

See less See more
#2 ·
Don’t remove the kickstand switch. That’s halfass and dangerous. Bypass it to see if the problem is solved, if so buy a new one.

If the stator cover was replaced, your issue could be from either the cover or a lack of a gasket.

#3 ·
It appears to be the OEM stator cover. There's a small oil leak, and I am ordering a new OEM gasket. What evidence should I look for, that would cause disruption like I mentioned, inside the cover?

The kickstand switch - I really do not see the issue here. Why is this regarded as particularly dangerous? I've ridden plenty of bikes without them.

#4 ·
The kickstand switch - I really do not see the issue here. Why is this regarded as particularly dangerous? I've ridden plenty of bikes without them.
It's not dangerous. It's just that for that one time out of 10 000, you ride off with your kickstand down.

Download your manual. There is a troubleshoot section for this. It could be a simple sensor error that doesn't let your ECU know it's a warm start.

#6 ·
When you say it won't start when it's hot, what do you mean exactly?
Does it crank, but no fire?
Does it crank super slow like the battery is dead?
Does it not even try to crank?
Does it throw a code?
Does it start after letting it sit for a certain amount of time?

Might be worth doing a couple searches on here...
I have seen a number of different links to downloadable manuals.
Also, I have seen a number of posts regarding the 'no hot start' issues.

I had one that would crank super slow and not start when hot. Cleaning the carbon off the starter armature fixed it. But that was also several years older than yours...

#7 ·
When you say it won't start when it's hot, what do you mean exactly?
Does it crank, but no fire?
Does it crank super slow like the battery is dead?
Does it not even try to crank?
Does it throw a code?
Does it start after letting it sit for a certain amount of time?

Also, I have seen a number of posts regarding the 'no hot start' issues.

You're right, I should be more specific:
The motorcycle turns over with the starter, but does not start. The battery voltage is reading a bit over 12 at rest. 14ish at 4k rpm. 13ish at idle. It's charging fine. Under load, battery drops to about 11.5v, which is to be expected. It doesn't crank slow. It does not throw a code. It does eventually start again after sitting for a while.

I see hot start issues on different bikes. Not on mine - anywhere. Hence, I'm here trying to get some ideas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.